Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

In Persian language there is a letter which is pronounced as if an animal growled or something was stuck in your throat and you try to put it out or to force a small amount of saliva come out of your throat. When we/you do this we/you produce the (kh) sound.

I want to know if there is any English word to have such a pronunciation.
Or is there any English name to have such a pronunciation in it?

I know that there are many in French and other languages but I want to know if one exists in English.

For example the french word: Merci = The (R) is pronounce (Kh) as if something is stuck in the throat.

Is there any name or noun or a word in English containing the (kh) pronunciation or not?

Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

In Persian language there is a letter which is pronounced as if an animal growled or something was stuck in your throat and you try to put it out or to force a small amount of saliva come out of your throat. When we/you do this we/you produce the (kh) sound.

I want to know if there is any English word to have such a pronunciation.
Or is there any English name to have such a pronunciation in it?

I know that there are many in French and other languages but I want to know if one exists in English.

For example the french word: Merci = The (R) is pronounce (Kh) as if something is stuck in the throat.

Is there any name or noun or a word in English containing the (kh) pronunciation or not?

Thank you.

It sounds as if you are describing the "ch" in German. In English, we might call the sound "guttural". I have never heard "Merci" pronounced with such a sound, though.

guttural - definition of guttural by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
sb70012, please remember that questions about pronunciation should be posted in the "Pronunciation and Phonetics" section of the forum, not Ask A Teacher.

The "r" in "Merci" (French) should be a guttural "r". It doesn't sound the same as the German "ch" though.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In any event, no we don't have that sound in English. If it's the IPA /X/ as in German 'Bach', Scottish 'loch', then we use it only in loan words (not many). French /ʀ/ doesn't occur in English either.

Probably the best way to decide whether English has a certain sound is to identify the sound In IPA, and check to see if it's on an English IPA chart.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Not by any French speaker I ever heard. And not according to forvo either.

Status
Not open for further replies.