• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

In time (again)

I have read all the posts on this forum related to the discussion of the difference between in time and on time and now I've got it. In time means "before it's not too late, before the last moment". But there is one question unanswered: I wonder if we can use in time in the following situation:

I decide (all of a sudden) to visit my parents because I've happened to get close to their house (on some business). So I drop by their house and there are some friends there having tea and cake. Can my Mum say: Oh, you are always in time. We've just started having tea and cake.

In this situation it's not "just before the last moment", because they have only started, there's plenty of cake and plenty of time yet.

So my question is: Can one come accidentally in time, without having the event in mind at all? (In my situation I came on a sudden impulse, not knowing about the cake). All the earlier explanations "explain" about events people are going to on purpose keeping these events in mind. And in my situation I had no idea Mum had made a cake, was I also in time? Is there a difference?
    Last edited by englishhobby; 01-Oct-2013 at 07:28.
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: In time (again)

Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    I have read all the posts on this forum related to the discussion of the difference between in time and on time and now I've got it. In time means "before it's not too late, before the last moment". But there is one question unanswered I wonder if we can use in time in the following situation:

I decide (all of a sudden) to visit my parents because I've happened to get close to their house (on some business). So I drop by their house and there are some friends there having tea and cake. Can my Mum say: Oh, you are always in time. We've just started having tea and cake.

In this situation it's not "just before the last moment", because they have only started, there's plenty of cake and plenty of time yet.

So my question is: Can one come accidentally in time, without having the event in mind at all? (In my situation I came on a sudden impulse, not knowing about the cake). All the earlier explanations "explain" about events people are going to on purpose keeping these events in mind. And in my situation I had no idea Mum had made a cake, was I also in time? Is there a difference?
    Yes, but one would say "You have arrived just in time for tea and cake".
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 30-Sep-2013 at 23:37. Reason: typo