Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Syria

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    #1

    Parallel Structure

    Hello everyone,

    I'm really confused about the parallel structure rules... Could you please explain it to me.
    Is this sentence grammatically correct or is it wrong in terms of parallel structure:

    "He explained the his implementation of this method in class in terms of when to start writing, the materials needed for the writing task, helping the student finding a topic to write about, and a detailed description of the process he practices in class."

    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Parallel Structure

    Quote Originally Posted by Amyloum View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I'm really confused about the parallel structure rules... Could you please explain it to me.
    Is this sentence grammatically correct or is it wrong in terms of parallel structure:

    "He explained the his implementation of this method in class in terms of when to start writing, the materials needed for the writing task, helping the student finding a topic to write about, and a detailed description of the process he practices in class."

    Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Here is some information on parallel structures: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/623/1/

    If you are still confused, please ask another question.

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Syria

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    #3

    Re: Parallel Structure

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Here is some information on parallel structures: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/623/1/

    If you are still confused, please ask another question.
    Thanks Mike I've checked the link you provided and I think the sentence should be like this:

    "...when to start writing, the materials needed for the writing task, the help offered to students in finding a topic to write about, and a detailed description of the process he practices in class."

    But I'm not sure how to fit "when to start writing" in the sentence above?

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Parallel Structure

    Quote Originally Posted by Amyloum View Post
    Thanks Mike I've checked the link you provided and I think the sentence should be like this:

    "...when to start writing, the materials needed for the writing task, the help offered to students in finding a topic to write about, and a detailed description of the process he practices in class."

    But I'm not sure how to fit "when to start writing" in the sentence above?
    See if you can rewrite the sentence with the first item being "advice about when to start writing".

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Parallel structure
    By Rameen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2012, 14:42
  2. Parallel Structure
    By Jennifer Nevsky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2011, 23:24
  3. Parallel Structure
    By gorikaz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2008, 13:08
  4. i need to know about non parallel structure
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Dec-2007, 01:36
  5. Parallel Structure
    By Atesttaker in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-May-2004, 23:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •