• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

withing and across

I am trying to understand the precise meaning of the expression "within and across". I understand the meaning of both words but struggle to understand the whole phrase. If, for example, we talk about a study of pronunciation "within and across languages" - does it mean that we study this issue "within" particular languages as well as attempt to compare the pronunciation of different languages? "Within" is the easy bit, "across" seems a little blurred. The sentence I need to translate relates to choreography: "contemporary choreography grapples with a multiplicity of patternings within and across bodies and "messy" practicies". Does "across" refer to the space/relation among bodies and practicies? Or it's just a meaningless addition really?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: withing and across

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzy_Brzezinski View Post
    I am trying to understand the precise meaning of the expression "within and across". I understand the meaning of both words but struggle to understand the whole phrase. If, for example, we talk about a study of pronunciation "within and across languages" - does it mean that we study this issue "within" particular languages as well as attempt to compare the pronunciation of different languages? "Within" is the easy bit, "across" seems a little blurred. The sentence I need to translate relates to choreography: "contemporary choreography grapples with a multiplicity of patternings within and across bodies and "messy" practicies". Does "across" refer to the space/relation among bodies and practicies? Or it's just a meaningless addition really?
    The sentence about choreography doesn't make much sense to me. In the example about the study of pronunciation I think your interpretation is about right.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid there are quite a few lines in the text that don't make much sens to me either. How ironic by the way, to use the expression "messy practice" in a sentence that itself is so horribly unclear. Funny.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzy_Brzezinski View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid there are quite a few lines in the text that don't make much sens to me either. How ironic by the way, to use the expression "messy practice" in a sentence that itself is so horribly unclear. Funny.
    Suppose a group of anthropologists went to Africa and studied the culture of several tribes and then compared them. They would be studying culture within (each tribe) and across (all the studied) tribes.