Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I have a question related to this paragraph. I can't seem to figure out what's a "cod romance". Could someone please explain?

Thank you.

The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw labelled Hirschbiegel's film "an excruciatingly well-intentioned, reverential and sentimental biopic about her troubled final years, laced with bizarre cardboard dialogue", while the Observer's Mark Kermode called it "a film which has neither backbone nor teeth, swerving drearily between hagiography ('I just want to help people!') and hapless cod romance, interspersed with hokey landmine photo-ops and scenic cultural detours through Lahore".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The romance is portrayed in an unconvincing, embarrassing way.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I have a question related to this paragraph. I can't seem to figure out what's a "cod romance". Could someone please explain?

Thank you.

The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw labelled Hirschbiegel's film "an excruciatingly well-intentioned, reverential and sentimental biopic about her troubled final years, laced with bizarre cardboard dialogue", while the Observer's Mark Kermode called it "a film which has neither backbone nor teeth, swerving drearily between hagiography ('I just want to help people!') and hapless cod romance, interspersed with hokey landmine photo-ops and scenic cultural detours through Lahore".

"Cod" in that context means false, counterfeit, bogus.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Glad you were here to explain that. I had no idea!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It was quite popular a few years ago, but I haven't heard it much in BrE recently.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question related to this paragraph. I can't seem to figure out [strike]what's[/strike] what a "cod romance" is. Could someone please explain?

Note my correction to the word order of your second sentence. You were not asking a direct question so "what's a cod romance" was incorrect.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but there are all sorts of definitions in the dictionary that a person might never hear used in real life.

I have NEVER heard it used that way. A cod is a fish. If you hadn't been here to answer it, I would have assumed someone made a typo - which is often a more likely case than an esoteric meaning found in a dictionary.

That's why having speakers from such a wide geography is so useful. Common in one place, unused in another.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As in, a codpiece?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but there are all sorts of definitions in the dictionary that a person might never hear used in real life.

I have NEVER heard it used that way. A cod is a fish. If you hadn't been here to answer it, I would have assumed someone made a typo - which is often a more likely case than an esoteric meaning found in a dictionary.

That's why having speakers from such a wide geography is so useful. Common in one place, unused in another.

I had never heard of it either.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And now I hear that Lady Gaga song in my head, except it's "Cod Romance."

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you all. I also knew that a "cod" is a type of fish. It seems it also means fake. English is a very complicated language :).

Status
Not open for further replies.