Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,037
    #1

    get into trouble

    Those kids are always getting into trouble.

    Does "get into trouble" mean doing bad things? Does "make trouble" have a similar meaning?

    Thanks.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,982
    #2

    Re: get into trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Those kids are always getting into trouble.

    Does "get into trouble" mean doing bad things? Does "make trouble" have a similar meaning?

    Thanks.
    Yes, "get into trouble" involves doing bad things, breaking rules or laws, etc. "To make trouble" is to cause problems.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,037
    #3

    Re: get into trouble

    And, in Br Eng at least, 'get into trouble' can mean either impregnate or become pregnant.

    b

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,982
    #4

    Re: get into trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    And, in Br Eng at least, 'get into trouble' can mean either impregnate or become pregnant.

    b
    It is sometimes used for that in AmE, though it is not common these days.

  5. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 25,718
    #5

    Re: get into trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    And, in Br Eng at least, 'get into trouble' can mean either impregnate or become pregnant.

    b
    That's right, though it dates back to the days when having a baby outside marriage was considered shameful, rather than an easy way to get a council house and generous benefits.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 44,286
    #6

    Re: get into trouble

    I would say that, in BrE, "to get in[to] trouble" means to suffer the consequences of doing something wrong/bad.

    Jane: What are you doing, John?
    John: I'm writing on my bedroom walls!
    Jane: Don't do that.
    John: Why not?
    Jane: Well, firstly, it's really naughty. But mainly because when our parents find out, you'll get into trouble!

    John is clearly already doing something wrong/bad, but Jane is warning him that there will be consequences when their parents find out what he has done.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,982
    #7

    Re: get into trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I would say that, in BrE, "to get in[to] trouble" means to suffer the consequences of doing something wrong/bad.

    Jane: What are you doing, John?
    John: I'm writing on my bedroom walls!
    Jane: Don't do that.
    John: Why not?
    Jane: Well, firstly, it's really naughty. But mainly because when our parents find out, you'll get into trouble!

    John is clearly already doing something wrong/bad, but Jane is warning him that there will be consequences when their parents find out what he has done.
    Yes, I agree that there is an implication of them being caught and being punished. But in the US, the phrase is often used to refer to the misdeeds themselves.

  8. Barb_D's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,269
    #8

    Re: get into trouble

    I agree. You can make trouble and not be found out, so you don't get into trouble.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  9. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,037
    #9

    Re: get into trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes, I agree that there is an implication of them being caught and being punished. But in the US, the phrase is often used to refer to the misdeeds themselves.
    Misdeeds means an action that is wrong or illegal. Does it apply to misbehaver of children in AmE?

    Thanks.

  10. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,982
    #10

    Re: get into trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Misdeeds means an action that is wrong or illegal. Does it apply to misbehaver of children in AmE?

    Thanks.
    Yes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. Should there be trouble
    By AlexAD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2011, 12:28
  2. Trouble(s)
    By tipu s in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2011, 12:23
  3. I m in trouble
    By yavuzpala in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2007, 01:52
  4. trouble(s)
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2007, 17:56
  5. the trouble is that?
    By cyber_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-May-2007, 22:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •