Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Those kids are always getting into trouble.

Does "get into trouble" mean doing bad things? Does "make trouble" have a similar meaning?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those kids are always getting into trouble.

Does "get into trouble" mean doing bad things? Does "make trouble" have a similar meaning?

Thanks.

Yes, "get into trouble" involves doing bad things, breaking rules or laws, etc. "To make trouble" is to cause problems.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: And, in Br Eng at least, 'get into trouble' can mean either impregnate or become pregnant.

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: And, in Br Eng at least, 'get into trouble' can mean either impregnate or become pregnant.

b

It is sometimes used for that in AmE, though it is not common these days.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

b

That's right, though it dates back to the days when having a baby outside marriage was considered shameful, rather than an easy way to get a council house and generous benefits.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that, in BrE, "to get in[to] trouble" means to suffer the consequences of doing something wrong/bad.

Jane: What are you doing, John?
John: I'm writing on my bedroom walls!
Jane: Don't do that.
John: Why not?
Jane: Well, firstly, it's really naughty. But mainly because when our parents find out, you'll get into trouble!

John is clearly already doing something wrong/bad, but Jane is warning him that there will be consequences when their parents find out what he has done.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say that, in BrE, "to get in[to] trouble" means to suffer the consequences of doing something wrong/bad.

Jane: What are you doing, John?
John: I'm writing on my bedroom walls!
Jane: Don't do that.
John: Why not?
Jane: Well, firstly, it's really naughty. But mainly because when our parents find out, you'll get into trouble!

John is clearly already doing something wrong/bad, but Jane is warning him that there will be consequences when their parents find out what he has done.

Yes, I agree that there is an implication of them being caught and being punished. But in the US, the phrase is often used to refer to the misdeeds themselves.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. You can make trouble and not be found out, so you don't get into trouble.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, I agree that there is an implication of them being caught and being punished. But in the US, the phrase is often used to refer to the misdeeds themselves.

Misdeeds means an action that is wrong or illegal. Does it apply to misbehaver of children in AmE?

Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Getting into trouble is not always bad. The phrase is sometimes used among youngsters as a synonym for slightly mischievous fun (or at least used to be in my day). Fifty years ago I used to delight in getting into a bit of trouble. Speeding in cars, doing stunts with cars, fooling around with girls, smoking substances, etc. The idea was to get as close to real trouble as possible without actually falling in.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Misdeeds means an action that is wrong or illegal. Does it apply to misbehaver of children in AmE?

Thanks.
In Br Eng that would sound a bit heavy-handed for childish misdemeanours. Naughty children get up to mischief.

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Br Eng that would sound a bit heavy-handed for childish misdemeanours. Naughty children get up to mischief.

b

I agree if we are referring only to younger children. However, with older children, pre-teen and young teen, the possibilities change and range from shoplifting and vandalism to robbery and murder (at least in the US).

Status
Not open for further replies.