Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll just add a cultural note. I can't speak for how women think about this, but it would not cross the minds of most British men I know to even think about whether a woman they knew was a virgin or not.

I agree and, as a woman, even if the man was interested in that status, I wouldn't divulge the information. It's none of his business!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How about if they get on.

Hehe, they will meet, and date, and go to play together, and go to the movies, and marry, and bear a baby, and raise a baby and ... and ... and so on ;-)

And the phrase "fall in love" (in China) usually doesn't mean that a boy and a girl love each other but try to be acquainted with each other to like each other or love each other.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can't speak for how women think about this, but it would not cross the minds of most British men I know to even think about whether a woman they knew was a virgin or not.

It's not important.
In my understanding, MORE knowledge of Britain or American culture should be taught for Chinese students but not only the grammar of English. If a student really wanna learn English better, he'd better know more English culture.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And the phrase "fall in love" (in China) usually doesn't mean that a boy and a girl love each other but try to be acquainted with each other to like each other or love each other.
That sounds more like a "blind leap into possible love" rather than "falling in love".
So what do you call two people who accidentally "fall in love" without trying, and with no conscious plans of marrying and having babies. They might not even want to love each other; it just happens? That's what the 'falling' implies in English.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That sounds more like a "blind leap into possible love" rather than "falling in love".
So what do you call two people who accidentally "fall in love" without trying, and with no conscious plans of marrying and having babies. They might not even want to love each other; it just happens? That's what the 'falling' implies in English.
Thank you so much! You are very very very right!
You make me totally understand the phrase "falling in love" suddenly. In my opinion, most Chinese English teachers never see the idiom "blind leap into possible love", yes, the Chinese students alike. As a result, the phrase "falling in love" is widely misused! Obviously it's a pity.
And further more most Chinese students will consider the phrase "falling in love" as a very simple phrase. I have to say it seems a bigger pity!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hehe, they will meet, and date, and go to play together,
'Play' is another word that Chinese learners often use incorrectly. 'Play' is what children do. Teenagers and young adults may play tennis, play cards or play a computer game but, when they are together, they don't just play. They may relax, chill out, chat, or do a few things that their parents might not approve of, but they don't 'play'.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In my opinion, most Chinese English teachers never see the idiom "blind leap into possible love", yes, the Chinese students alike.
It's not an idiom. I just made it up, as a contrast to what we would call "falling in love".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not important.
In my understanding, MORE knowledge of Britain or American culture should be taught for Chinese students but not only the grammar of English. If a student really wanna learn English better, he'd better know more English culture.

It's often a difficult thing to teach and education systems may not make the best selection of things to teach. However, nowadays it's easy to make contact all over the globe, so it's a lot easier to learn these things than it used to be.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Tdol:
I quite approve of your ideas.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not an idiom. I just made it up, as a contrast to what we would call "falling in love".

:turn-l:Thanks for your further explanation.
I'm moved. Thank you!

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Play' is another word that Chinese learners often use incorrectly. 'Play' is what children do.
Thank you for helping me grasp basic word "play" .

Teenagers and young adults may play tennis, play cards or play a computer game but, when they are together, they don't just play.
Yes:lol:Many many Chinese young adults and teenagers indulge in computer games.(I'm strange and hate computer games.)
As for tennis, it is really not universal in China, so just few people play it.

They may relax, chill out, chat, or do a few things that their parents might not approve of, but they don't 'play'.
Yes:lol:Do a few thins that their parents might not approve of! Hehe ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.