newspaper articles

Which question is better?

1. Who did you telephone?
    2. Who did you telephone to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently read an article in one old english newspaper. It was about preparations for the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park.
    I would like to ask what it means to give somebody a 'hand up' (last sentence).

This is a part of the article.

Speaking at the weekend, Geldof insisted he was serious in calling for massive crowds to converge on Edinburgh during the G8 summit. "I'm going to do it. I need you to be with me", he told an audience at the Guardian Hay Festival.
    "If we can get the domestic heat to such a level in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, Canada and the US, it's just possible that we can reach down the ladder and say to those dudes 'Let's give you a hand up'".

And another question. What does 'as the lines open' mean?

Organisers of the London concert say they expect to be inundated with texts as the lines open this morning and people try to ...

I have read an article about British film director Michael Winterbottom and his film „The Road to Guantanamo“. The headline reads: Guantanamo is Berlin's „M. M. moment“
    Question: What does a „M. M. moment“ mean?

There was a photograph near the article and just below the photograph there was a comment:

Handcuffs attached to the floor that are used on detainees during interrogations in the maximum-security facility of Camp five at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba, are shown in this file photo...

What does a 'file photo' mean? What is the difference between a normal photo and a 'file photo'?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: newspaper articles

Quote Originally Posted by rudo
    Which question is better?
    1. Who did you telephone?
    2. Who did you telephone to?
    I have recently read an article in one old english newspaper. It was about preparations for the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park.
    I would like to ask what it means to give somebody a 'hand up' (last sentence).
    This is a part of the article.
    Speaking at the weekend, Geldof insisted he was serious in calling for massive crowds to converge on Edinburgh during the G8 summit. "I'm going to do it. I need you to be with me", he told an audience at the Guardian Hay Festival.
    "If we can get the domestic heat to such a level in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, Canada and the US, it's just possible that we can reach down the ladder and say to those dudes 'Let's give you a hand up'".
    And another question. What does 'as the lines open' mean?
    Organisers of the London concert say they expect to be inundated with texts as the lines open this morning and people try to ...
    I have read an article about British film director Michael Winterbottom and his film „The Road to Guantanamo“. The headline reads: Guantanamo is Berlin's „M. M. moment“
    Question: What does a „M. M. moment“ mean?
    There was a photograph near the article and just below the photograph there was a comment:
    Handcuffs attached to the floor that are used on detainees during interrogations in the maximum-security facility of Camp five at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba, are shown in this file photo...
    What does a 'file photo' mean? What is the difference between a normal photo and a 'file photo'?

Who did you telephone?
    Lets give you a hand up, means to assist someone by providing support, in this case by showing the feelings of the common people to encourage the leaders to make a decision.

Not sure about MM, could be Magic Moment, but then moment is repeated so probably not

a 'file' photo is a photograph from a stock held by the publisher, such as when you see a picture of a type of aircraft that has crashed. It is not the actual aircraft, but another of the same type. In the case of the handcuffs, it is a photograph taken earlier which relates to the story, perhaps not the actualhandcuffs, but taken from the same place at an earlier time.

A normal photo would be one taken of the actual subject