• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

which

All of a sudden, the lady in charge noticed us and she walked in our direction. She asked where the teacher was for our group, and I raised my hand. She said, “Very, very nice to meet you. Come this way.”

Could I use "which" or "who" to replace the underlined "where" in this sentence? I think it also makes sense.

Am I right?

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: which

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    All of a sudden, the lady in charge noticed us and she walked in our direction. She asked where the teacher was for our group, and I raised my hand. She said, “Very, very nice to meet you. Come this way.”

Could I use "which" or "who" to replace the underlined "where" in this sentence? I think it also makes sense.

Am I right?

Jason
    She could have asked who the teacher was. If your post had said that it would have been clearer to the reader that you were the teacher. I assumed that you were raising your hand because you knew where the teacher was and you were going to tell the lady the teacher's location.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

All of a sudden, the lady in charge noticed us and she walked in our direction. She asked where the teacher was for our group, and I raised my hand. She said, “Very, very nice to meet you. Come this way.” We were led into the theatre, first, and we were given front-row seats.

Actually, "I" was the teacher. So "which" is not suitable here, is it?

Thanks again!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    All of a sudden, the lady in charge noticed us and she walked in our direction. She asked where the teacher was for our group, and I raised my hand. She said, “Very, very nice to meet you. Come this way.” We were led into the theatre, first, and we were given front-row seats.

Actually, "I" was the teacher. So "which" is not suitable here, is it?

Thanks again!

Jason
    She could have said "Which one of you is the teacher?" which would lead to the piece saying "She asked which one of us was the teacher for our group and I raised my hand".

I'm not sure why you've suddenly underlined and bolded several other words in the post.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.