• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

Dear teachers,

Please tell me which of the following versions of the sentence is what you native speakers use and very comfortable with:

1. Why do you think your mom is not a helicopter parent?
    2. Why do you not think your mom is a helicopter parent?
    3. Why don't you think your mom is a helicopter parent?

This question came to me when this afternoon I was thinking about how to conduct my English classes next week where I would like to discuss the topic of "helicopter parent" with my students before I ask them to write a body paragraph on this topic as an in-class writing activity. I plan to first introduce them to the concept of "helicopter parent" and then ask them, "Is your mom/dad a helicopter parent?" To this question, no doubt there will be either an affirmative answer or a negative answer from my students(Certainly some students may say that they find it hard to decide whether their mom/ dad is or not). Then, in order to help them generate ideas for their writing, I need to ask the follow-up questions of "Why do you think she/he is a helicopter parent?" and "Why do you think he or she is not a helicopter parent?" corresponding to students' positive answer and negative answer. My Collins COBUILD English Usage tells me on p.714 that:

Instead of saying that you think something is not the case, you usually say that you don't think it is the case.
    I don't think they really represent the people.
    I don't think there is any doubt about that.

However, the dictionary does not tell me how to structure a wh-question involving "think" in the negative case. Which one or two of 1, 2 and 3 is/are correct? Please do not overthink, just tell me what you native speakers of English use very often when you are in this situation-- that is, which one(s) sound(s) quite natural to your native ears? Thanks a lot.

Richard

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

Before you discuss it with your students, I'd love to know what on earth a helicopter parent is!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Before you discuss it with your students, I'd love to know what on earth a helicopter parent is!
    A helicopter parent is one who is overly attentive to their child or children's needs. Such a parent is just like a helicopter hovering overhead, being always worried about their children or paying extremely close attention to their feelings. To some extent, I am one to my only-child daughter.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    A helicopter parent is one who is overly attentive to their child or children's needs. Such a parent is just like a helicopter hovering overhead, being always worried about their children or paying extremely close attention to their feelings. To some extent, I am one to my only-child daughter.
    I've never heard that before.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Whilst I can see the benefit of discussing anything in class which all the children understand and which may well lead to a lively debate, I don't think it's a good idea to use a phrase which isn't used in English as the basis for that discussion. I assume "helicopter parent" is a direct translation. We don't have a generic term for such people in English - I imagine most people would simply say "over-attentive parent", "over-protective parent" or in the case of keeping their children indoors (and safe) at all times, "over-cautious parent".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

It's common over on this side of the pond, where the problem is frequent: obsessive moms who won't back off and let the child make his or her own decisions/mistakes. Frequently, such kids are enrolled in activities every night of the week: Football, chess, ballet, piano, etc. And the parents are always nearby, ready to interfere or interject.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    It's common over on this side of the pond, where the problem is frequent: obsessive moms who won't back off and let the child make his or her own decisions/mistakes. Frequently, such kids are enrolled in activities every night of the week: Football, chess, ballet, piano, etc. And the parents are always nearby, ready to interfere or interject.
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear teachers,

Please tell me which of the following versions of the sentence is what you native speakers use and very comfortable with:

1. Why do you think your mom is not a helicopter parent?
    2. Why do you not think your mom is a helicopter parent?
    3. Why don't you think your mom is a helicopter parent?

This question came to me when this afternoon I was thinking about how to conduct my English classes next week where I would like to discuss the topic of "helicopter parent" with my students before I ask them to write a body paragraph on this topic as an in-class writing activity. I plan to first introduce them to the concept of "helicopter parent" and then ask them, "Is your mom/dad a helicopter parent?" To this question, no doubt there will be either an affirmative answer or a negative answer from my students(Certainly some students may say that they find it hard to decide whether their mom/ dad is or not). Then, in order to help them generate ideas for their writing, I need to ask the follow-up questions of "Why do you think she/he is a helicopter parent?" and "Why do you think he or she is not a helicopter parent?" corresponding to students' positive answer and negative answer. My Collins COBUILD English Usage tells me on p.714 that:

Instead of saying that you think something is not the case, you usually say that you don't think it is the case.
    I don't think they really represent the people.
    I don't think there is any doubt about that.

However, the dictionary does not tell me how to structure a wh-question involving "think" in the negative case. Which one or two of 1, 2 and 3 is/are correct? Please do not overthink, just tell me what you native speakers of English use very often when you are in this situation-- that is, which one(s) sound(s) quite natural to your native ears? Thanks a lot.

Richard
    All three of your questions are grammatically correct. Of the three, I prefer the first.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    All three of your questions are grammatically correct. Of the three, I prefer the first.
    Thank you, MikeNewYork.
    So, you mean that in this wh- question we do not need to advance the "not" to make it part of the main clause of "Why do you think"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you, MikeNewYork.
    So, you mean that in this wh- question we do not need to advance the "not" to make it part of the main clause of "Why do you think"?
    Correct.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast