Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #21

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Only if its parents agree.
    No helicopter flies that far. And Apache says to its parents, "Besides, they do not like us. So, let's drop the idea."

  2. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #22

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Only if its parents agree.
    Attention please. The term of "helicopter parent" is checking in for Flight Whatever-Its-Number-Is to London on an Airbus 380 plane at Chicago O'Hare Intl Airport. He is a naughty orphaned child and we American sociologists start to dislike him very much so we send him to GB without giving him a return ticket. Everyone on board, please reach out your helping hand to him to help make sure of his safe arrival. Thanks. — from the airport broadcaster on behalf of The Association of American Sociologists.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 53,197
    #23

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Attention please - the aforementioned naughty orphaned child falls to be refused entry on arrival in the UK due to the absence of a return ticket and the fact that he/she is not conducive to the public good. Thanks - from the Immigration Advisor for the Protection of British Society.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #24

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Attention please - the aforementioned naughty orphaned child falls to be refused entry on arrival in the UK due to the absence of a return ticket and the fact that he/she is not conducive to the public good. Thanks - from the Immigration Advisor for the Protection of British Society.
    SOS. A lot of time has lapsed since I asked the airport broadcaster to make that request and now that naughty kid is already on the plane which is already airborne. Anyway, let's make a deal— you can fulfill your job of deporting him in accordance with your immigration law and regulations and we will have no complaints, but before you send him back, please give him enough food lest he should go hungry during his wait at your place and his trip back home. Please rest assured that all expenses incurred will be borne by us, the Association of American Sociologists. From this unhappy event we realize that not all new labels/terms are great ideas; however, we cannot assure you that we will not come up with more in the future. We decide to keep them all for our exclusive use. Thanks for your kindness.
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 08-Oct-2013 at 12:15.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,563
    #25

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    SOS. A lot of time has lapsed since I asked the airport broadcaster to make that request and now that naughty kid is already on the plane which is already airborne. Anyway, let's make a deal— you can fulfill your job of deporting him in accordance with your immigration law and regulations and we will have no complaints, but before you send him back, please give him enough food lest he should go hungry during his wait at your place and his trip back home. Please rest assured that all expenses incurred will be borne by us, the Association of American Sociologists. From this unhappy event we realize that not all new labels/terms are great ideas; however, we cannot assure you that we will not come up with more in the future. We decide to keep them all for our exclusive use. Thanks for your kindness.
    Helicopter parent example: Capri Sun Super V Mom Helps Son Ad (US - May 2012) - YouTube

  6. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #26

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Hi, Mike. Thanks for the vid, which I watched after unblocking YT (Remember, I am living on this side of the Pacific).
    BTW, do you think that this mom is an exaggeration to promote the product and we actually do not have such super extreme moms in real life? And can I ask you to do me a favour and transcribe the short ad when you've got a minute? For I, as a non-native, want to be clear about every bit of it and I am enthusiastic about English learning and want to set an example to my English major students. Thanks. Anyway, if it is too much trouble for you, then forget about it.
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 10-Oct-2013 at 14:09.

  7. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 27,915
    #27

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    And can I ask you to do me a favour and transcribe the short ad when you've got a minute? For I, as a non-native, want to be clear about every bit of it and I am enthusiastic about English learning.
    I can't answer for Mike, but that appears to me to be asking a lot of somebody who already gives up a fair amount of his own time to respond to questions in this forum. If you are as enthusiastic about English as you say, it would be more useful for you to try to transcribe the words yourself. You could post your transcription here for comments and correction.

  8. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #28

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I can't answer for Mike, but that appears to me to be asking a lot of somebody who already gives up a fair amount of his own time to respond to questions in this forum. If you are as enthusiastic about English as you say, it would be more useful for you to try to transcribe the words yourself. You could post your transcription here for comments and correction.
    Your criticism accepted.

    OK, I will take your advice and transcribe the vid and get my transcript uploaded for your comments. But as you seem not to have read my last post carefully, it may be very hard for you guys to imagine how difficult to get access to YouTube and watch videos on it over here. The video takes forever to load, and keeps pausing or buffering when after a great effort I have succeeded in unblocking the website. Youtube videos nearly always cannot be played normally even if I have managed to log on to the website. Oftentimes, I first have videos important to me downloaded and then watch them on my computer and the whole process may take a huge amount of time.

    Thanks for your work.
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 10-Oct-2013 at 14:46.

  9. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,563
    #29

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    Hi, Mike. Thanks for the vid, which I watched after unblocking YT (Remember, I am living on this side of the Pacific).
    BTW, do you think that this mom is an exaggeration to promote the product and we actually do not have such super extreme moms in real life? And can I ask you to do me a favour and transcribe the short ad when you've got a minute? For I, as a non-native, want to be clear about every bit of it and I am enthusiastic about English learning and want to set an example to my English major students. Thanks. Anyway, if it is too much trouble for you, then forget about it.
    Yes, the ad is an exaggeration but I thought it would illustrate the point. As to transcribing the ad, I really do not have the time. I think 5jj made a good suggestion.

  10. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #30

    Re: a wh- question involving "think" in the negative case

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I can't answer for Mike, but that appears to me to be asking a lot of somebody who already gives up a fair amount of his own time to respond to questions in this forum. If you are as enthusiastic about English as you say, it would be more useful for you to try to transcribe the words yourself. You could post your transcription here for comments and correction.
    Hi, 5jj and every other guy.
    The following is my transcript of the ad MikeNewYork mentioned. The underlined parts are what I failed to get correctly and I am sure there are also mistakes elsewhere in my transcipt. Please correct any mistake in it. Thanks a lot.


    If Paula ever had her way, she would help her child — “Geoxy Rival, a new play gacet. He knew that.” — with everything. Go! Go! No! No!... Mummy’s here! But that kind of love is from the pond. So, instead she gives him new Capri Sun Super V, so he gets more of what he needs. Without all her he doesn’t think he needs. With one combined serving of fruit and vegetables, new Capri Sun Super V.
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 11-Oct-2013 at 05:03.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •