English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Only if its parents agree.
No helicopter flies that far. And Apache says to its parents, "Besides, they do not like us. So, let's drop the idea."

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Only if its parents agree.
Attention please. The term of "helicopter parent" is checking in for Flight Whatever-Its-Number-Is to London on an Airbus 380 plane at Chicago O'Hare Intl Airport. He is a naughty orphaned child and we American sociologists start to dislike him very much so we send him to GB without giving him a return ticket. Everyone on board, please reach out your helping hand to him to help make sure of his safe arrival. Thanks. — from the airport broadcaster on behalf of The Association of American Sociologists.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Attention please - the aforementioned naughty orphaned child falls to be refused entry on arrival in the UK due to the absence of a return ticket and the fact that he/she is not conducive to the public good. Thanks - from the Immigration Advisor for the Protection of British Society.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Attention please - the aforementioned naughty orphaned child falls to be refused entry on arrival in the UK due to the absence of a return ticket and the fact that he/she is not conducive to the public good. Thanks - from the Immigration Advisor for the Protection of British Society.
SOS. A lot of time has lapsed since I asked the airport broadcaster to make that request and now that naughty kid is already on the plane which is already airborne. Anyway, let's make a deal— you can fulfill your job of deporting him in accordance with your immigration law and regulations and we will have no complaints, but before you send him back, please give him enough food lest he should go hungry during his wait at your place and his trip back home. Please rest assured that all expenses incurred will be borne by us, the Association of American Sociologists. From this unhappy event we realize that not all new labels/terms are great ideas; however, we cannot assure you that we will not come up with more in the future. We decide to keep them all for our exclusive use. Thanks for your kindness.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
SOS. A lot of time has lapsed since I asked the airport broadcaster to make that request and now that naughty kid is already on the plane which is already airborne. Anyway, let's make a deal— you can fulfill your job of deporting him in accordance with your immigration law and regulations and we will have no complaints, but before you send him back, please give him enough food lest he should go hungry during his wait at your place and his trip back home. Please rest assured that all expenses incurred will be borne by us, the Association of American Sociologists. From this unhappy event we realize that not all new labels/terms are great ideas; however, we cannot assure you that we will not come up with more in the future. We decide to keep them all for our exclusive use. Thanks for your kindness.

Helicopter parent example: Capri Sun Super V Mom Helps Son Ad (US - May 2012) - YouTube

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Hi, Mike. Thanks for the vid, which I watched after unblocking YT (Remember, I am living on this side of the Pacific).
BTW, do you think that this mom is an exaggeration to promote the product and we actually do not have such super extreme moms in real life? And can I ask you to do me a favour and transcribe the short ad when you've got a minute? For I, as a non-native, want to be clear about every bit of it and I am enthusiastic about English learning and want to set an example to my English major students. Thanks. Anyway, if it is too much trouble for you, then forget about it.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And can I ask you to do me a favour and transcribe the short ad when you've got a minute? For I, as a non-native, want to be clear about every bit of it and I am enthusiastic about English learning.
I can't answer for Mike, but that appears to me to be asking a lot of somebody who already gives up a fair amount of his own time to respond to questions in this forum. If you are as enthusiastic about English as you say, it would be more useful for you to try to transcribe the words yourself. You could post your transcription here for comments and correction.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can't answer for Mike, but that appears to me to be asking a lot of somebody who already gives up a fair amount of his own time to respond to questions in this forum. If you are as enthusiastic about English as you say, it would be more useful for you to try to transcribe the words yourself. You could post your transcription here for comments and correction.
Your criticism accepted.

OK, I will take your advice and transcribe the vid and get my transcript uploaded for your comments. But as you seem not to have read my last post carefully, it may be very hard for you guys to imagine how difficult to get access to YouTube and watch videos on it over here. The video takes forever to load, and keeps pausing or buffering when after a great effort I have succeeded in unblocking the website. Youtube videos nearly always cannot be played normally even if I have managed to log on to the website. Oftentimes, I first have videos important to me downloaded and then watch them on my computer and the whole process may take a huge amount of time.

Thanks for your work.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, Mike. Thanks for the vid, which I watched after unblocking YT (Remember, I am living on this side of the Pacific).
BTW, do you think that this mom is an exaggeration to promote the product and we actually do not have such super extreme moms in real life? And can I ask you to do me a favour and transcribe the short ad when you've got a minute? For I, as a non-native, want to be clear about every bit of it and I am enthusiastic about English learning and want to set an example to my English major students. Thanks. Anyway, if it is too much trouble for you, then forget about it.

Yes, the ad is an exaggeration but I thought it would illustrate the point. As to transcribing the ad, I really do not have the time. I think 5jj made a good suggestion.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, 5jj and every other guy.
The following is my transcript of the ad MikeNewYork mentioned. The underlined parts are what I failed to get correctly and I am sure there are also mistakes elsewhere in my transcipt. Please correct any mistake in it. Thanks a lot.

If Paula ever had her way, she would help her child — “Geoxy Rival, a new play gacet. He knew that.” — with everything. Go! Go! No! No!... Mummy’s here! But that kind of love is from the pond. So, instead she gives him new Capri Sun Super V, so he gets more of what he needs. Without all her he doesn’t think he needs. With one combined serving of fruit and vegetables, new Capri Sun Super V.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, 5jj and every other guy.
The following is my transcript of the ad MikeNewYork mentioned. The underlined parts are what I failed to get correctly and I am sure there are also mistakes elsewhere in my transcipt. Please correct any mistake in it. Thanks a lot.

If Paula Eva had her way, she would help her child — “Geoxy Rival, a new play gacet. He knew that.” — with everything. Go! Go! No! No!... Mummy’s here! But that kind of love is from the pond. So, instead she gives him new Capri Sun Super V, so he gets more of what he needs. Without all her He doesn’t think he needs. With one combined serving fruit and vegetables new Capri Sun Super V.

If Paula Ebert had her way, she would help her child....Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)...he knew that...with everything. Go, go, no , no, no, no, Mommy's here. But that kind of love is frowned upon. (fire hydrant) So, instead she gives him....he gets more of what he needs without all the her he doesn't think he needs.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If Paula Ebert had her way, she would help her child....Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)...he knew that...with everything. Go, go, no , no, no, no, Mommy's here. But that kind of love is frowned upon. (fire hydrant) So, instead she gives him....he gets more of what he needs without all the her he doesn't think he needs.
Many thanks for your help!
Anyway, are you sure of the part of "without all the her" in your version? Or did you mean "without all the her-he-doesn't-think-he-needs"?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many thanks for your help!
Anyway, are you sure of the part of "without all the her" in your version? Or did you mean "without all the her-he-doesn't-think-he-needs"?

Except for the hyphens, I see no difference between what I wrote and what you wrote.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Except for the hyphens, I see no difference between what I wrote and what you wrote.
Thanks. If I wrote your way, my students would surely get confused and frown on it, so I dare not.
Perhaps this is the last question for you concerning that ad. Is there anything wrong with my last sentence of "With one combined serving fruit and vegetables new Capri Sun Super V." (I revised the orginal sentence in my transcipt by adding "of")in my transcript?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. If I wrote your way, my students would surely get confused and frown on it, so I dare not.
Perhaps this is the last question for you concerning that ad. Is there anything wrong with my last sentence of "With one combined serving fruit and vegetables new Capri Sun Super V." (I revised the orginal sentence in my transcipt by adding "of")in my transcript?

The word "of" is in the ad: one combined serving of fruit and vegetables. Why would your students expect 5 hyphens in a row? Completely unnecessary. What would be the purpose of the hyphens? At most I would put the word "her" in quotes.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The word "of" is in the ad: one combined serving of fruit and vegetables. Why would your students expect 5 hyphens in a row? Completely unnecessary. What would be the purpose of the hyphens? At most I would put the word "her" in quotes.
Both my students and I are Chinese and all of us need to work hard to improve our English competence. I meant that I would like to make it clear that "her-he-doesn't-think-he-needs" functions as a noun in this particular case.At first glance I myself got confused about that part of your revision and if my students read it, they will surely get embarrassed.

To be honest, I find it difficult to understand your putting the word "her" in quotes and I have never come across this use of quotes before.
BTW, I have failed to get any useful info about Supermom Paula Ebert in wikipedia and elsewhere online. But in the process of my failed searching I happened to see that a lot of websites have posted the ad you mentioned. Who on earth is this supermom?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both my students and I are Chinese and all of us need to work hard to improve our English competence. I meant that I would like to make it clear that "her-he-doesn't-think-he-needs" functions as a noun in this particular case.At first glance I myself got confused about that part of your revision and if my students read it, they will surely get embarrassed.
To be honest, I find it difficult to understand your putting the word "her" in quotes and I have never come across this use of quotes before.
BTW, I have failed to get any useful info about Supermom Paula Ebert in wikipedia and elsewhere online. But in the process of my failed searching I happened to see that a lot of websites have posted the ad you mentioned. Who on earth is this supermom?

We use quotation marks for a variety of reasons. Obviously, direct quotes are the prime example. But you will notice on this forum that when we talk about a word or a phrase, we put it in quotes. That alerts the reader that the discussed words are not a part of the actual sentence. We also use quotes when a word is used in an odd fashion, as with the "her" in the ad. That "her" is not used in the normal fashion. So we tend to set it off with quotes: without all the "her" that he doesn't think he needs. Your use of hyphens doesn't isolate the odd word. It appears to make a compound word which doesn't exist.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We use quotation marks for a variety of reasons. Obviously, direct quotes are the prime example. But you will notice on this forum that when we talk about a word or a phrase, we put it in quotes. That alerts the reader that the discussed words are not a part of the actual sentence. We also use quotes when a word is used in an odd fashion, as with the "her" in the ad. That "her" is not used in the normal fashion. So we tend to set it off with quotes: without all the "her" that he doesn't think he needs. Your use of hyphens doesn't isolate the odd word. It appears to make a compound word which doesn't exist.
In post # 32 you said "he gets more of what he needs without all the her he doesn't think he needs. Now you give me 'without all the "her" that he doesn't think he needs'. So,you mean that "(that) he doesn't think he needs" is a relative clause that modifies 'the "her"', right? Thanks for your patience.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In post # 32 you said "he gets more of what he needs without all the her he doesn't think he needs. Now you give me 'without all the "her" that he doesn't think he needs'. So,you mean that "(that) he doesn't think he needs" is a relative clause that modifies 'the "her"', right? Thanks for your patience.

Correct.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have just come across this thread, and I am astonished to see my fellow Brits saying that they have not come across the term "helicopter parents" before. Just about every Saturday and Sunday supplement [Telegraph, Times, etc] I seem to have read over the past year has had one or more articles featuring this phrase. It's too late to close the borders: it's already embedded here!

Status
Not open for further replies.