English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

Please tell me which of the following versions of the sentence is what you native speakers use and very comfortable with:

1. Why do you think your mom is not a helicopter parent?
2. Why do you not think your mom is a helicopter parent?
3. Why don't you think your mom is a helicopter parent?

This question came to me when this afternoon I was thinking about how to conduct my English classes next week where I would like to discuss the topic of "helicopter parent" with my students before I ask them to write a body paragraph on this topic as an in-class writing activity. I plan to first introduce them to the concept of "helicopter parent" and then ask them, "Is your mom/dad a helicopter parent?" To this question, no doubt there will be either an affirmative answer or a negative answer from my students(Certainly some students may say that they find it hard to decide whether their mom/ dad is or not). Then, in order to help them generate ideas for their writing, I need to ask the follow-up questions of "Why do you think she/he is a helicopter parent?" and "Why do you think he or she is not a helicopter parent?" corresponding to students' positive answer and negative answer. My Collins COBUILD English Usage tells me on p.714 that:

Instead of saying that you think something is not the case, you usually say that you don't think it is the case.
I don't think they really represent the people.
I don't think there is any doubt about that.

However, the dictionary does not tell me how to structure a wh-question involving "think" in the negative case. Which one or two of 1, 2 and 3 is/are correct? Please do not overthink, just tell me what you native speakers of English use very often when you are in this situation-- that is, which one(s) sound(s) quite natural to your native ears? Thanks a lot.

Richard​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before you discuss it with your students, I'd love to know what on earth a helicopter parent is! ;-)

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Before you discuss it with your students, I'd love to know what on earth a helicopter parent is! ;-)
A helicopter parent is one who is overly attentive to their child or children's needs. Such a parent is just like a helicopter hovering overhead, being always worried about their children or paying extremely close attention to their feelings. To some extent, I am one to my only-child daughter.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A helicopter parent is one who is overly attentive to their child or children's needs. Such a parent is just like a helicopter hovering overhead, being always worried about their children or paying extremely close attention to their feelings. To some extent, I am one to my only-child daughter.

I've never heard that before.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whilst I can see the benefit of discussing anything in class which all the children understand and which may well lead to a lively debate, I don't think it's a good idea to use a phrase which isn't used in English as the basis for that discussion. I assume "helicopter parent" is a direct translation. We don't have a generic term for such people in English - I imagine most people would simply say "over-attentive parent", "over-protective parent" or in the case of keeping their children indoors (and safe) at all times, "over-cautious parent".

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's common over on this side of the pond, where the problem is frequent: obsessive moms who won't back off and let the child make his or her own decisions/mistakes. Frequently, such kids are enrolled in activities every night of the week: Football, chess, ballet, piano, etc. And the parents are always nearby, ready to interfere or interject.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's common over on this side of the pond, where the problem is frequent: obsessive moms who won't back off and let the child make his or her own decisions/mistakes. Frequently, such kids are enrolled in activities every night of the week: Football, chess, ballet, piano, etc. And the parents are always nearby, ready to interfere or interject.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Please tell me which of the following versions of the sentence is what you native speakers use and very comfortable with:

1. Why do you think your mom is not a helicopter parent?
2. Why do you not think your mom is a helicopter parent?
3. Why don't you think your mom is a helicopter parent?

This question came to me when this afternoon I was thinking about how to conduct my English classes next week where I would like to discuss the topic of "helicopter parent" with my students before I ask them to write a body paragraph on this topic as an in-class writing activity. I plan to first introduce them to the concept of "helicopter parent" and then ask them, "Is your mom/dad a helicopter parent?" To this question, no doubt there will be either an affirmative answer or a negative answer from my students(Certainly some students may say that they find it hard to decide whether their mom/ dad is or not). Then, in order to help them generate ideas for their writing, I need to ask the follow-up questions of "Why do you think she/he is a helicopter parent?" and "Why do you think he or she is not a helicopter parent?" corresponding to students' positive answer and negative answer. My Collins COBUILD English Usage tells me on p.714 that:

Instead of saying that you think something is not the case, you usually say that you don't think it is the case.
I don't think they really represent the people.
I don't think there is any doubt about that.

However, the dictionary does not tell me how to structure a wh-question involving "think" in the negative case. Which one or two of 1, 2 and 3 is/are correct? Please do not overthink, just tell me what you native speakers of English use very often when you are in this situation-- that is, which one(s) sound(s) quite natural to your native ears? Thanks a lot.

Richard​

All three of your questions are grammatically correct. Of the three, I prefer the first.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
All three of your questions are grammatically correct. Of the three, I prefer the first.
Thank you, MikeNewYork.
So, you mean that in this wh- question we do not need to advance the "not" to make it part of the main clause of "Why do you think"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, MikeNewYork.
So, you mean that in this wh- question we do not need to advance the "not" to make it part of the main clause of "Why do you think"?

Correct.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Whilst I can see the benefit of discussing anything in class which all the children understand and which may well lead to a lively debate, I don't think it's a good idea to use a phrase which isn't used in English as the basis for that discussion. I assume "helicopter parent" is a direct translation. We don't have a generic term for such people in English - I imagine most people would simply say "over-attentive parent", "over-protective parent" or in the case of keeping their children indoors (and safe) at all times, "over-cautious parent".
At the end of this past August I wrote an email to my North American friends telling them about my accompanying my daughter to her univerisity for enrollment. I told them about the controversy in China between so-called experts on education and parents over whether parents should accompany their adult children to their universities when these children go there for the first time. In their reply letters my North American friends informed me of the concept of "helicopter parent". And afterwards, I read a lot of online materials on this concept. I think it is a good topic to activate students' realization of their parents' love for them, which often remains in the back of their minds.
Anyway, the focus of my OP is on the correctness of the three versions of the sentence, not on "helicopter parent". Please say something about whether we need to advance the "not" to make it part of the main clause just like in "I don't think they really represent the people." or not. Thanks.

Last edited:

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Frequently, such kids are enrolled in activities every night of the week: Football, chess, ballet, piano, etc.
I guess the strategy of some of these parents is to keep their kids occupied to prevent them from making trouble and for some kids it works.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At the end of this past August I wrote an email to my North American friends telling them about my accompanying my daughter to her univerisity for enrollment. I told them about the controversy in China between so-called experts on education and parents over whether parents should accompany their adult children to their universities when these children go there for the first time. In their reply letters my North American friends informed me of the concept of "helicopter parent". And afterwards, I read a lot of online materials on this concept. I think it is a good topic to activate students' realization of their parents' love for them, which often remains in the back of their minds.
Anyway, the focus of my OP is on the correctness of the three versions of the sentence, not on "helicopter parent". Please say something about whether we need to advance the "not" to make it part of the main clause just like in "I don't think they really represent the people." or not. Thanks.

In post #8, MikeNewYork told you that all three sentences are grammatically correct and which one he preferred.

I can only assume that the term "helicopter parent" has not made it to the UK yet.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In post #8, MikeNewYork told you that all three sentences are grammatically correct and which one he preferred.

I can only assume that the term "helicopter parent" has not made it to the UK yet.

Thanks. And I guess the term is on its way to GB.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. And I guess the term is on its way to GB.

The term probably is on its way though hopefully that doesn't mean British parents are going to start behaving in this way!

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The term probably is on its way though hopefully that doesn't mean British parents are going to start behaving in this way!
To be frank, whether we label this type of parents or not, it is certain that there are helicopter parents in every society. You cannot say that British parents are all perfert parents. And you cannot say either that British parents are better parents than their North American counterparts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be frank, whether we label this type of parents or not, it is certain that there are helicopter parents in every society. You cannot say that British parents are all perfert parents. And you cannot say either that British parents are better parents than their North American counterparts.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I'm sure there are similar parents in every society. What I meant was that I hope it doesn't become the norm.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I'm sure there are similar parents in every society. What I meant was that I hope it doesn't become the norm.
I am sorry for misunderstanding you.

Status
Not open for further replies.