• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

In vs. Into

When we learn English as a foreign language we are taught that “in” can be both a preposition (as in I live in Moscow) and an adverbial particle (as in Come in, please). As a preposition is introduces a location, a position, but not a direction. If we deal with a movement, a direction, we say either “to” or “into”. It all seems to be quite clear until one faces a simple sentence like:

He put the ticket in his pocket

Why not “into his pocket”? Or “into” is equally possible here?

Another tricky example is:

She went into town

Doesn’t it sound like she went “inside” the town? What would be the difference between going into town and just going to town?

Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: In vs. Into

Quote Originally Posted by shatilof View Post
    When we learn English as a foreign language we are taught that “in” can be both a preposition (as in I live in Moscow) and an adverbial particle (as in Come in, please). As a preposition is introduces a location, a position, but not a direction. If we deal with a movement, a direction, we say either “to” or “into”. It all seems to be quite clear until one faces a simple sentence like:

Why not “into his pocket”? Or is “into” equally possible here? Yes.

She went into town. She went to town is equivalent and often heard in Ame.

Doesn’t it sound like she went “inside” the town? No to me. What would be the difference between going into town and just going to town? None.

Thank you in advance.
    Incidentally in can refer to a direction. The wind is in the north. In the west people are friendlier.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 07-Oct-2013 at 22:57. Reason: Fixing typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

'Into' is more correct here, in my opinion.
    You shouldn't be too concerned when you see bad English or questionable English, or sentences that deviate a little from the 'rules' you've learnt.
    Not all native speakers have read the rules that ESL students are taught.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

She went into town

Doesn’t it sound like she went “inside” the town? What would be the difference between going into town and just going to town?

Thank you in advance.
    I agree with Raymott that "into" his pocket is better, but "put in" has become so common it really cannot be considered incorrect.