Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
When we learn English as a foreign language we are taught that “in” can be both a preposition (as in I live in Moscow) and an adverbial particle (as in Come in, please). As a preposition is introduces a location, a position, but not a direction. If we deal with a movement, a direction, we say either “to” or “into”. It all seems to be quite clear until one faces a simple sentence like:

He put the ticket in his pocket

Why not “into his pocket”? Or “into” is equally possible here?

Another tricky example is:

She went into town

Doesn’t it sound like she went “inside” the town? What would be the difference between going into town and just going to town?

Thank you in advance.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When we learn English as a foreign language we are taught that “in” can be both a preposition (as in I live in Moscow) and an adverbial particle (as in Come in, please). As a preposition is introduces a location, a position, but not a direction. If we deal with a movement, a direction, we say either “to” or “into”. It all seems to be quite clear until one faces a simple sentence like:

Why not “into his pocket”? Or is “into” equally possible here? Yes.

She went into town. She went to town is equivalent and often heard in Ame.

Doesn’t it sound like she went “inside” the town? No to me. What would be the difference between going into town and just going to town? None.

Thank you in advance.

Incidentally in can refer to a direction. The wind is in the north. In the west people are friendlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

'Into' is more correct here, in my opinion.
You shouldn't be too concerned when you see bad English or questionable English, or sentences that deviate a little from the 'rules' you've learnt.
Not all native speakers have read the rules that ESL students are taught.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

She went into town

Doesn’t it sound like she went “inside” the town? What would be the difference between going into town and just going to town?

Thank you in advance.

I agree with Raymott that "into" his pocket is better, but "put in" has become so common it really cannot be considered incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.