Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The television in their suite was on, though no one paid much attention until a news bulletin and that grating “all hell has broken loose” music appeared on the screen."

I was googling for the “all hell has broken loose” music, and found that this is a common expression, but I didn't find the meaning of it. Could you help me, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"All hell has broken loose" means "there is complete chaos" or "something absolutely disastrous has happened [and there is ensuing chaos]". Adding the word "music" to the end suggests that there is a particular type of music which is played on a TV news bulletin whenever there is a big story about "all hell breaking loose".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm wondering how music of any kind could appear on a TV screen.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm wondering how music of any kind could appear on a TV screen.

Fair point, though I guess it was the news bulletin which appeared on the screen, accompanied by the music. I can't say I associate any kind of music with disaster stories on the news. There is a short theme tune before the news broadcast starts but no music during it.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"All hell has broken loose" means "there is complete chaos" or "something absolutely disastrous has happened [and there is ensuing chaos]". Adding the word "music" to the end suggests that there is a particular type of music which is played on a TV news bulletin whenever there is a big story about "all hell breaking loose".
:up:

b
PS (And when Milton wrote it, in Paradise Lost, He was talking about Hell [the place and the demons in it] ;-))

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't say I associate any kind of music with disaster stories on the news.

They play a sound in Japan when an earthquake occurs big enough for them to flash the statistics on screen, but it's calm rather than all hell breaking loose. Some Blackberries play a similar sound when a message is received.

Status
Not open for further replies.