Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 4
    #1

    "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Hello,

    I am reviewing a user manual for a production-controlling application.
    I am not sure whether the usage of "of when" in this sentence is correct, and I have not found any grammatical rules that would help me to figure it out.
    Could you please help me with it?
    I'd like to know whether this sentence is correct or not and what are the grammar rules that apply to it.
    Thanks a lot

    take care
    pat

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,814
    #2

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
    Hello,

    I am reviewing a user manual for a production-controlling application.
    I am not sure whether the usage of "of when" in this sentence is correct, and I have not found any grammatical rules that would help me to figure it out.
    Could you please help me with it?
    I'd like to know whether this sentence is correct or not and what are the grammar rules that apply to it.
    Thanks a lot

    take care Unnecessary, but if it were necessary it would have needed a capital letter and a full stop.
    ​Pat
    Welcome to the forum.

    If there is only one timestamp and it refers to the time of creation, then I would simply use "The timestamp on the log". If you need to specify, then "The log creation timestamp".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 4
    #3

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    If there is only one timestamp and it refers to the time of creation, then I would simply use "The timestamp on the log". If you need to specify, then "The log creation timestamp".
    Thanks for your reply.
    I know how to rephrase it. I just need to learn if in this form the sentence is correct or not and why :)

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    I know how to rephrase it. I just need to learn if in this form the sentence is correct or not and why :)
    It depends what you mean by correct. It's pleonastic. Saying 'the timestamp * when the log was created' is like saying 'ATM machine'; it will inspire contempt in some listeners/readers - and that hampers communication needlessly. As Ems implied, rather gently (perhaps too gently in view of the arrogance of your response ), you should rephrase it (if only because her revised wording says as much in fewer words).

    b

    PS The 'of' is unnecessary
    Last edited by BobK; 08-Oct-2013 at 10:44. Reason: Added PS

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 4
    #5

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Thank you for your reply.
    I did not mean to sound rude, so my apologies if my reply was received that way.
    Like I wrote in my first post, what I was interested in was learning about the in/correctness of the "of which" usage rather than the entire sentence.
    So, basically, your PS answered by question, at least partially.
    And there are several timestamps that may be created for a single log, so this is hardly an "ATM machine" case :)

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,814
    #6

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    I did not mean to sound rude, so my apologies if my reply was received that way.
    Like I wrote in my first post, what I was interested in was learning about the in/correctness of the "of which" usage rather than the entire sentence.
    So, basically, your PS answered by question, at least partially.
    And there are several timestamps that may be created for a single log, so this is hardly an "ATM machine" case :)
    You asked about "of when", not "of which".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    I did not mean to sound rude, so my apologies if my reply was received that way. -)
    ...
    And there are several timestamps that may be created for a single log, so this is hardly an "ATM machine" case :)
    If there are several timestamps, at the beginning of the book (or chapter) it would be a good idea to give them names. For example,

    The file has N timestamps:
    • The creation timestamp
    • The modified timestamp
    • The last-visited timestamp
    • ...
    Thereafter be consistent. (Say, don't call the last-visited timestamp 'the timestamp showing when the file was last visited'....)

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 08-Oct-2013 at 19:54. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 4
    #8

    Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

    Correct, "of when" it was.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2013, 14:03
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2013, 06:18
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-May-2012, 12:14
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2010, 13:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •