Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"He’s mind was far away, galloping over a rhinestone prairie of goofy ideas".
Is it an idiom or something? I found a Facebook page "Rhinestone Prairie Photography by Chelsea Medina", but nothing on the page gives me tips on the sense.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathvit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Belgium
No, don't think it's an idiom. It sounds more like a metaphor.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it an idiom or something? I found a Facebook page "Rhinestone Prairie Photography by Chelsea Medina", but nothing on the page gives me tips on the sense.
Thank you.

The first word should be "His", not "He's". Of course, it's possible that it's wrong on the original but also possible that you copied it incorrectly.

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, don't think it's an idiom. It sounds more like a metaphor.
A metaphor is a figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object.
Does such an object - rhinestone prairie - exist? If so, what is this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A metaphor is a figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object.
Does such an object - rhinestone prairie - exist? If so, what is this?

Do you know what a rhinestone is? Do you know what a prairie is? If the answer to either/both of those questions is "No" then look it/them up. Then tell us if you think it is likely that a rhinestone prairie exists and what you think it is.

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Do you know what a rhinestone is? Do you know what a prairie is? If the answer to either/both of those questions is "No" then look it/them up. Then tell us if you think it is likely that a rhinestone prairie exists and what you think it is.
I do know, more or less; more about prairie, less about rhinestone. Anyway, IMHO, a rhinestone prairie doesn't exist. But ...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The first word should be "His", not "He's". Of course, it's possible that it's wrong on the original but also possible that you copied it incorrectly.
It's wrong on the original.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you.

I agree that this phrase is a metaphor. The meaning is not terribly clear, but let's break it down. A prairie is a tract of land which grows grasses in abundance. A rhinestone is a sparkly fake jewel that is mostly worthless. Therefore, I would conclude that a rhinestone prairie of goofy ideas produces worthless ideas in abundance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that this phrase is a metaphor. The meaning is not terribly clear, but let's break it down. A prairie is a tract of land which grows grasses in abundance. A rhinestone is a sparkly fake jewel that is mostly worthless. Therefore, I would conclude that a rhinestone prairie of goofy ideas produces worthless ideas in abundance.

I agree, but with the addition that the "rhinestone" also means these ideas may appeal to some, just like shiny objects attract certain people.

Kathvit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Belgium
Ok, let's do a bit of stylistic analysis.

The word 'mind' has been anthropomorphised to resemble a horse; horses gallop and so do minds that run a million miles an hour. Horses also run across prairies; here is were you have your 'horse' metaphor. Rhinestones are stones which aren't worth much, but are really beautiful. So, what do we have? We have a metaphor in which a mind is being compared to a horse, which is running so fast it is galloping across a prairie (a wide open space - which also symbolises the possibility of the many ideas that are coming out of this mind). These ideas are beautiful, however they aren't really worth much because they are made of rhinestones; which links to the 'goofy ideas.' To sum up we have a man whose mind is really active and who comes up with some really juicy nuggets of ideas but whose ideas are basically worth nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.