Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am a teacher of English and i am taking FCE examination next month. please help me correct this story.

Jakob was absolutely furious when he saw what was going on outside his window. He lived on the fourth floor of a flat which looked out over the streets. He could not bear to watch the annoying situation. An old poor blind man was sitting on the pavement and some young boys were teasing him by giving him some papers which were not money. The old man was nodding his head and thanking them continuously.
Jakob left the flat quickly, ran to the man and shouted angrily at the boys. They were really frightened and run away as fast as possible. Jakob then looked more carefully at the poor man. He was so shocked that he could not say anything at all. The man turned out to be his uncle who had left home two months ago. His family had found him everywhere but was unsuccessful.

Kathvit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Belgium
Correct it in terms of narrative structure or grammar?

I can see one simple past tense error and also an instance of a verb being misused; however the narrative structure to me is a bit unbelievable; there's not much plot development - I mean why wasn't the uncle recognised? He's only been gone 2 months.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There are two errors, one major and one minor. The major error is "his family had found him everywhere." What you mean is that they looked for him everywhere. They failed to find him. The lesser error is "an old poor blind man". The word order is unnatural. It should be a poor old blind man.

I cannot see the two errors that Kathvit claimed to see but did not identify.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are two errors, one major and one minor. The major error is "his family had found him everywhere." What you mean is that they looked for him everywhere. They failed to find him. The lesser error is "an old poor blind man". The word order is unnatural. It should be a poor old blind man.

I cannot see the two errors that Kathvit claimed to see but did not identify.

I guess that found is the misused verb and paragraph two does contain a simple past error.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am a teacher of English and I am taking the FCE examination next month. Please help me correct this story.

Other users have pointed out errors in the story. Please see my marked corrections to your first two sentences. You'll have to be more careful in your exam.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I misused the word "found". "His family had looked for him everywhere"

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
your guess is right. what I mean is "looked for" not "found". thanks so much for your comment. it is really useful to me.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Other users have pointed out errors in the story. Please see my marked corrections to your first two sentences. You'll have to be more careful in your exam.
Thanks a lot. I will be more careful next time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your guess is right. What I mean is "looked for" not "found". Thanks so much for your comment. It is really useful to me.

Even though in post #10 you said you would be more careful, you failed to use any capitalisation at all in post #9. Please remember that it is important to use correct capitalisation and punctuation every time you write in English, not just in exams.

Status
Not open for further replies.