Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Since he started smoking I ……. him to stop it.

a)had always asked
b)am always asking (Answer Key)
c)have always asked
d)always asked

Hi,

In my opinion this test can have two answers key. In my opinion both "b" and "c" can be correct.
Do you agree with me?

Source: taken from school exam sheets
Thank you

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I'm of the same opinion.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Really? How can "a" and "d" work?

MikeNewYork didn't mean that "three or four" (ie a and d) work. He was responding to Tdol's "Same here" which is frequently expressed as "Me too". For a little amusement, some people say that they agree with "Me too" by saying "Me three". It's a rather basic pun on the fact that "Me too" sounds like "Me two" and usually means "I am the second person with this opinion, making me "two"!" The next person to agree is the third person so they say "Me three".

MNY said "Me three" because engee3 was the first person to agree, Tdol was the second person to agree making MNY the third person to agree. However, if you consider the fact that you were first person to say you thought that b and c were both possible, then in fact MNY is the fourth person of that opinion, so "Me four" is possible.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Totally new to me. Then we can also say "me 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc", right? Till now I have only known "me too". This really is new to me.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do you native English speakers ever use "me three" in your informal daily speakings or you just use it when you write?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's normally only used when speaking because then the difference between "Me too" and "Me two" isn't obvious. When written down, it's a little different but as you can see, we do sometimes write it. I admit I was a little confused initially simply because no-one said "Me too", they only said "Same here". It's unusual in BrE for anyone to follow "Same here" with "Me three".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Totally new to me. Then we can also say "me 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc", right? Till now I have only known "me too". This really is new to me.

Let's not get crazy with this. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.