what is the passive voice form for "Mother was angry with him" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

qoshimas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
what's the passive voice form for "Mother was angry with him"? my english teacher said that the form of passive voice for "was angry" is "was got/gotten angry" so, it'd be "He was got/gotten angry by his mother", is it grammatically correct?? because It sounds really awkward to me :-? thanks in advance

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you want a passive, use the verb anger: he was angered.... However, this has a different meaning and from the original. Basically, you can't put this sentence into the passive. You could say His mother was angered, but it doesn't work very well with by him- you could say she was angered by what he did/said.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no passive form of your original sentence. If your teacher's sentence were the passive equivalent of anything anything, it would be 'His mother got him angry', itself a not very natural sentence.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:
what's the passive voice form for "Mother was angry with him"? my english teacher said that the form of passive voice for "was angry" is "was got/gotten angry" so, it'd be "He was got/gotten angry by his mother", is it grammatically correct?? because It sounds really awkward to me :-? thanks in advance
Of course it sounds really awkward; it's wrong. If the active sentence you want to make passive has no object, that nonthing can't be turned into the sentence's subject.

As Tdol suggested, use angered; that has a object, which can be made subject: 'John angered his mother/John's mother was angered by him'. That passive form sounds a bit odd, but at least it's grammatical. (People are usually angered by a <thing>. 'John's mother was angered by his intransigence/pig-headeness/insensitivity....<enter-other-annoying-characteristic-here>')

b

Status
Not open for further replies.