• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

That or Where

Gemeryland is an island ----- I would really like to see.a. where b. that

I have problem with this case of relative clause. I sought Practical English usage by Micheal Swan. However, I didn't find any difference between that and where in this usage. What's the reason that some English teacher claim we cannot use WHERE here? Can you give me another example?

Thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: That or Where

Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post

I have problem with this case of relative clause. I sought Practical English usage by Micheal Swan. However, I didn't find any difference between that and where in this usage. What's the reason that some English teacher claim we cannot use WHERE here? Can you give me another example?

Thanks in advance
    Definitely not "where". I would use "which" so I assume the key will say "that".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post

Thanks in advance
    In that sentence, "where" would be a relative adverb of place. The problem is it doesn't go with the verb "see". You could write "Gemeryland is a an island where I would really like to go/live/visit. I would use "that" in your sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    In that sentence, "where" would be a relative adverb of place. The problem is it doesn't go with the verb "see". You could write "Gemeryland is a an island where I would really like to go/live/visit. I would use "that" in your sentence.
    Interestingly, I would say "... where I would really like to go/live" but not "... where I would really like to visit". Maybe it's a BrE vs AmE thing again, but I would say "Gemeryland is an island [which] I would really like to visit".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Why don't we use "where + see or visit"? What's the related topic in grammar at which I can refer ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Interestingly, I would say "... where I would really like to go/live" but not "... where I would really like to visit". Maybe it's a BrE vs AmE thing again, but I would say "Gemeryland is an island [which] I would really like to visit".
    I am continuously amazed by the differences. I see no difference between "go" and "visit".