I am/was still recovering ... This is/was because... I am/was sure he would have

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Maybe, the driver thought he had a good reason for his irresponsible behaviour, namely my taking my sweet time in getting off the bus, as he was not convinced that I am/was still recovering from the injury. This is/was because he did not get off the bus to take a look at my injured scarred leg. If he had done so, I am/was sure he would have apologised to me.

1. For 'am/was', I wonder which verb to use because I am still recovering from my injury.
2. In the case of 'is/was' I think it should be 'was', but I am not sure.
3. As for 'am/was', I think it should be 'was', but am also not certain.

Thanks.

Last edited:

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Could somebody please give an answer to my post? Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could somebody please give an answer to my post? Thanks.

I suspect that you have not received an answer because the text makes little sense. How does your taking your sweet time getting off a bus become irresponsible behavior on the part of the bus driver?

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I suspect that you have not received an answer because the text makes little sense. How does your taking your sweet time getting off a bus become irresponsible behavior on the part of the bus driver?
Where I live, we board the bus at the front part and tap the card on the meter, which records the start of the journey. Before we alight, we tap again on the meter at the middle of the bus so that the correct fare is deducted from the card.

After tapping the card on the meter next to the driver I walked away with a limp. The bus driver should have noticed that one of my legs is injured. Evidently, he didn't see or could not be bothered. After I tapped the card before alighting, he closed the doors before I could alight. I believe he thought I was taking my sweet time in tapping the card. The fact is that the driver must ensure that I get off the bus before closing the doors after I had tapped the card. This is tantamount to errant behaviour on the driver's part, to me and even to the management of the company.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where I live, we board the bus at the front part and tap the card on the meter, which records the start of the journey. Before we alight, we tap again on the meter at the middle of the bus so that the correct fare is deducted from the card.

After tapping the card on the meter next to the driver I walked away with a limp. The bus driver should have noticed that one of my legs is injured. Evidently, he didn't see or could not be bothered. After I tapped the card before alighting, he closed the doors before I could alight. I believe he thought I was taking my sweet time in tapping the card. The fact is that the driver must ensure that I get off the bus before closing the doors after I had tapped the card. This is tantamount to errant behaviour on the driver's part, to me and even to the management of the company.

OK, that is the context. Most of that was missing in the piece you posted.

As to your question, I would use the present tense in all three choices: am/is/am.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are some other problems in your passage. For example, your use of "the injury" - you write as though the driver knew about your injury, when it was, and what your recovery time should have been.

Do you really think it's realistic for a driver to remember which of his passengers limped when they came on board? Whether you limped or were just slow, he shouldn't close the doors before you're off.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There are some other problems in your passage. For example, your use of "the injury" - you write as though the driver knew about your injury, when it was, and what your recovery time should have been.

Do you really think it's realistic for a driver to remember which of his passengers limped when they came on board? Whether you limped or were just slow, he shouldn't close the doors before you're off.
When I walked towards the middle part of the bus, I walked with a limp. The driver could see through the top mirror in front of him that I was limping. Where I live, this is what all drivers do. They must look and see that all passengers have got off before they closed the doors. My limping should be proof that I had difficulty walking unless he didn't look at the front mirror above him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with you that the driver should not drive away until people have sat down and it's true that if you walked with a limp after you got on, he should wait until you have sat down. However, I find it surprising that a driver is then expected to remember that you were limping when it's time for you to get off. Of course, if he had noticed you limping again on your way to the door, he should have waited before closing the doors.
You clearly have much more sympathetic drivers there. In the UK, as soon as the passengers are on board, the doors are closed and the driver moves off, even if people are still finding seats and/or climbing the stairs.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I agree with you that the driver should not drive away until people have sat down and it's true that if you walked with a limp after you got on, he should wait until you have sat down. However, I find it surprising that a driver is then expected to remember that you were limping when it's time for you to get off. Of course, if he had noticed you limping again on your way to the door, he should have waited before closing the doors.
You clearly have much more sympathetic drivers there. In the UK, as soon as the passengers are on board, the doors are closed and the driver moves off, even if people are still finding seats and/or climbing the stairs.
Shouldn't it be "I agree with you that the driver should not have driven away...? Thanks.

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Shouldn't it be "I agree with you that the driver should not have driven away...? Thanks.
In this particular case, it's fine as is - emsr2d2 wasn't actually speaking of your own experience, but of a similar situation in a general sense.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by emsr2d2

Thanks, enge.

Correct me if I am wrong. In the bold part, emsr used the driver and later connected that part to the fact that I walked with a limp. So it is not a general statement, in my opinion.

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Using a definite article isn't just confined to speaking about a particular situation, with reference to a particular person - that is 'the one that you know about'. On any bus there's normally one driver only, so you can refer to this person as the driver. The driver is always part of the expereince of travelling on the bus, and this is often referred to as common knowledge, meaning that everybody is familiar with what we are talking about. Changing from one point of reference to another in the text is a device that is often used and helps connect things to each other in the passage.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I meant that, in general "the driver" of any bus should not drive away before "you" (any person) sits down. I then went on to connect it to your personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.