what's clerisy ?

I have a subscription of CPE words and receive one word a day. The problem is, that most of those words I can't find in my dictionaries! (I have the Longman dictionary, Cambridge and one more)

Here's an example - clerisy.

The info included in the email says that it's a well-educated class of people, the intelligentsia.

is that so ? and why couldn't I find it in 3 dictionaries ?

thx

Re: what's clerisy ?

Quote Originally Posted by forum_mail
    I have a subscription of CPE words and receive one word a day. The problem is, that most of those words I can't find in my dictionaries! (I have the Longman dictionary, Cambridge and one more)
    Here's an example - clerisy.
    The info included in the email says that it's a well-educated class of people, the intelligentsia.
    is that so ? and why couldn't I find it in 3 dictionaries ?
    thx
    That is what the word means. "Clerics" in English has the meaning of "learned members of the religious class", but this is really because in English society in the Middle Ages the religious orders were the only educated members of society. The word is derived from the Ancient Greek "klerisei", meaning simply scholars or learned men.

You probably couldn't find it in your dictionaries because it is an uncommon English word, rarely used, and Longmans and Cambridge are both modern dictionaries. It is however in my Oxford English Dictionary, along with many other words that are seldom, if ever, used in native speech.