Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good evening,

I suppose I know the English tenses, but I'm a little bit confused:

Is it correct to say: I had bought a book before you phoned.
If it's correct I've the second question: Can we omit "before" and merely say: I had bought a book, you phoned.
I think it's correct because the past perfect refers to the first action and I don't see any reasons to use "before".

If I'm abosolutely incorrect I'll learn this thread and come back with new questions.
Thanks in advance.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good evening,

I suppose I know the English tenses, but I'm a little bit confused:

Is it correct to say: I had bought a book before you phoned.
If it's correct I've the second question: Can we omit "before" and merely say: I had bought a book, you phoned.
I think it's correct because the past perfect refers to the first action and I don't see any reasons to use "before".

If I'm abosolutely incorrect I'll learn this thread and come back with new questions.
Thanks in advance.

You logic is pretty good, but the resulting sentence is not. It just leaves "you phoned" hanging.

You can use the past perfect in the first sentence, but the word "before" makes the simple past tense a good choice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It doesn't work for me either- how do the two connect? In speech, you could use it because you could make the connection with intonation and expression, but on paper it just looks weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.