Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not completely pleased with it and I have found it to be a bit too long (my signature starts to go onto a second page). However, I don't know what to cut while still highlighting my skills and qualifications. I am writing this is for a cashier position at a local decorette shop and I want this cover letter to be really, really good. They say they want someone reliable, team-oriented, energetic, self-motivated, and have strong customer service skills and I feel like I could add more about why I believe I have each of these skills (and I admit some of the paragraphs may be awkwardly placed). The problem is that it might extend down to two pages if I did :-(. Sorry, but I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to these things and this [cover letter] is really bugging me.

Name
Address
Email

Date

Company
Address
Email

Dear Hiring Manager,

I came across a job opening for the X position at [Company Name] on [Job posting site] I am very interested in applying to this position as I believe I have the right skills and qualifications.

I have been volunteering at [Volunteer/ company name- it's a cat shelter] for the past year. I enjoy challenging myself, seeing how fast I can clean while still doing exceptionally well. I’ve had several comments from employees who thought I was the best volunteer worker they’ve had and greatly appreciated my service. A volunteer worker that had got me working there also complimented me on how fast I worked. I get along with employees and have chatted with customers that stop by to see the cats, answering as much as I can about them. I love working there that I even wake up at six to start my day and arrive there when the store opens.

I study at [School] where I am majoring in X. I study as much I can, even starting my studies almost as soon as I wake up. Because of my extensive studying, I am ahead of most (if not all) of the students in my class, even covering assignments and studies weeks ahead of time. I always like to be ahead, so studying materials the week they are assigned or studying material at the same time everyone else is makes me feel that I am or might be falling behind. Currently, I am maintaining a 4.0 GPA

I work in teams as well as I do alone- I can benefit from either even though working in teams may be very helpful for me. I am known to look up as much as I can (even before the project is officially assigned) to contribute to the group and suggest ideas to make projects or work go as smoothly as it can and am always eager to help others.

My habits and experience shows that I have the right skills and qualifications and hope you will deeply consider my application so I can further my experience and utilize more skills or bring others to light. I will be excited to work here if I am considered for the job. If you would like to talk or make an interview, please contact me by my email address above.

Sincerely,

Name

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not completely pleased with it and I have found it to be a bit too long (my signature starts to go onto a second page). However, I don't know what to cut while still highlighting my skills and qualifications. I am writing this is for a cashier position at a local decorette shop and I want this cover letter to be really, really good. They say they want someone reliable, team-oriented, energetic, self-motivated, and have strong customer service skills and I feel like I could add more about why I believe I have each of these skills (and I admit some of the paragraphs may be awkwardly placed). The problem is that it might extend down to two pages if I did :-(. Sorry, but I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to these things and this [cover letter] is really bugging me.

Name
Address
Email

Date

Company
Address
Email

[STRIKE]Dear Hiring Manager,[/STRIKE]

Use either "FAO HR Manager" or "Dear + title + surname" (In my opinion, you should find out the name of the person in charge of personnel and address it to him/her.)

[STRIKE]I came across a job opening[/STRIKE] I would like to apply for the X position at [Company Name] as advertised on [Job posting site] on [date]. [STRIKE]I am very interested in applying to this position as[/STRIKE] I believe I have the [strike]right[/strike] ideal combination of skills and qualifications for this position.

I have been volunteering at [Volunteer/ company name- it's a cat shelter] for the past year. I enjoy challenging myself, [STRIKE]seeing how fast I can clean while still doing exceptionally well.[/STRIKE] cleaning as quickly as possible while still doing an exceptional job. [STRIKE]I’ve had several comments from employees who thought I was the best volunteer worker they’ve had and greatly appreciated my service. A volunteer worker that had got me working there also complimented me on how fast I worked.[/STRIKE] I have received many complimentary comments from other volunteers regarding my work. I get along very well with both employees and customers [STRIKE]have chatted with[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]customers that stop by to see the cats,[/STRIKE] and I enjoy giving the customers as much information as I can about the cats. [strike]answering as much as I can about them.[/strike] [STRIKE]I love working there that I even wake up at six to start my day and arrive there when the store opens.[/STRIKE] I am always there at 6am when the shelter opens.

[STRIKE]I study at [School] where I am majoring in X.[/STRIKE] I am currently studying [subject] at [name of school] and I am maintaining a 4.0 GPA. [STRIKE]I study as much I can, even starting my studies almost as soon as I wake up. Because of my extensive studying, I am ahead of most (if not all) of the students in my class, even covering assignments and studies weeks ahead of time.[/STRIKE] I always like to be ahead, so [STRIKE]studying[/STRIKE] I study materials [STRIKE]the week[/STRIKE] immediately they are assigned. [STRIKE]or studying material at the same time everyone else is makes me feel that I am or might be falling behind. [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Currently, I am maintaining a 4.0 GPA[/STRIKE]

I work as well in teams [STRIKE]as well[/STRIKE] as I do alone[STRIKE]. - I can benefit from either even though working in teams may be very helpful for me.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]I am known to look up as much as I can (even before the project is officially assigned)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] I contribute to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] groups and suggest ideas to make projects or [STRIKE]work[/STRIKE] tasks go as smoothly as [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] they can, and I am always eager to help others.

My [STRIKE]habits and[/STRIKE] experience [STRIKE]shows[/STRIKE] demonstrates that I have the right skills and qualifications and I sincerely hope you will [STRIKE]deeply[/STRIKE] consider my application so I can further my experience, and utilize and develop [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] my skills. [STRIKE]or bring others to light.[/STRIKE] I [strike]will[/strike] would be very excited to work with you. [strike]here if I am considered for the job.[/strike]

If you would like [STRIKE]to talk or make an interview[/STRIKE] more information or to set up an interview, please contact me [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] at my email address above.

Yours sincerely (if you start it with Dear + title + surname),
Yours faithfully (if you start it with FAO HR Manager or with Dear Sir/Madam)

Name

See my suggested amendments above. You are right that it is too long for a covering letter - it will presumably accompany your CV which will have much more information. This letter simply needs to introduce the reasons why you think you would be perfect for the job.

KSutton21

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where it says "I would like to apply for the X position at [Company Name] as advertised on [Job posting site] on [date]" the date is when they posted the job or when I saw the opening? Also, I'm not really sure what FAO HR Manager is (I used Dear Sir/Madam instead)? And when mentioning the job posting site, would it be best to just say the name of the site, or write down the full address? (ex. www.Craigslist.com vs Craigslist.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where it says "I would like to apply for the X position at [Company Name] as advertised on [Job posting site] on [date]" the date is when they posted the job or when I saw the opening? Also, I'm not really sure what FAO HR Manager is?

If it was online, then it should say what date the advert was first posted. Use that date. If it was advertised in a newspaper or magazine, then give the date it was published.

FAO = For the Attention Of

When you don't know the name of the person you're writing to, putting "Dear" doesn't work. That should always be followed by a name or by "Sir/Madam". In this case, if all you know is that the person who is dealing with the applications is the "Human Resources (HR) Manager" then you can address the application that way.
As I said, it would be much better for your chances of getting the job if you go to the effort of finding out the name of the person you are dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.