Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
May I ask what is the meaning of the phrase "dwelt without exception" in the following passage?

The obituaries posted by the remaining great organs of the world press dwelt without exception on Giap’s close association with Ho Chi Minh and his role as the architect of the 1954 Dien Bien Phu victory and of the 1968 Tet attacks that at a stupifying cost in soldiers’ lives turned US opinion decisively against America’s “Vietnam War.”

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

"The obituaries posted by the remaining great organs of the world press dwelt without exception on Giap's close association with Ho Chi Minh …etc"

dwelt on = spent some time discussing.
without exception = every obituary spent time on this matter, there were none that did not.

Personally, I feel it would be better as: The obituaries posted by the remaining great organs of the world press, without exception, dwelt on Giap's close …etc"

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
May I ask what is the meaning of the phrase "dwelt without exception" in the following passage?

For me, "dwell/dwelt" carries the connotation of spending an inordinate amount of time on something.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I get the impression that the writer thinks they could have written about other things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.