• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

make into and turn into

- I want to make this room into/ turn this room into a kitchen.
    - Ok, now, turn this affirmative sentence into a question/make this affirmative sentence into a question.
    - That appaling experience made him into a cynic person/turned him into a cynic person.

The question is this: Do "make into" and "turn into" mean the same in this kind of context? How do you usually use them in English?
    Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: make into and turn into

Quote Originally Posted by caesar1983 View Post
    - I want to make this room into/turn this room into a kitchen.
    - Ok, now (no comma required here) turn this affirmative sentence into a question/make this affirmative sentence into a question.
    - That appalling experience made him into a cynical person/turned him into a cynical person.

The question is this: Do "make into" and "turn into" mean the same in this kind of context? How do you usually use them in English?
    Thank you.
    In those sentences, "turn into" and "make into" effectively mean the same thing - to change from one thing into another.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

They mean pretty much the same, and are used completely interchangeably in English.
    I suppose there is a small difference in that "turn into" implies changing from a specific previous state or condition, whereas "make into" can imply starting from nothing at all. For example, "I am going to turn this bathroom into a kitchen", but "When I have built this extension, I am going to make it into a kitchen".
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

By the way, it's a cynic or a cynical person, not a cynic person.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    They mean pretty much the same, and are used completely interchangeably in English.
    I suppose there is a small difference in that "turn into" implies changing from a specific previous state or condition, whereas "make into" can imply starting from nothing at all. For example, "I am going to turn this bathroom into a kitchen", but "When I have built this extension, I am going to make it into a kitchen".
    I don't think that's a small difference. It's a difference, and hence the terms are not "completely interchangeable."
    In "The witch will turn you into a frog", 'turn' is not interchangeable with 'make'. In English, witches do not make people into frogs.
    I should add that I disagree with most assessments here of terms being interchangeable. It's common that two terms could be interchanged given a certain sentence without any great change in meaning - but even that doesn't mean that they're generally interchangeable.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I agree and that's why I said that in the contexts provided, they meant the same thing but I did not say they were interchangeable. However, I would like to point out that in BrE we do say "make someone into something". Whether it's grammatically correct or not, you might hear a small child who's playing Harry Potter make-believe say "Wave your wand and make me into a princess!" or a hopeful musician asking her agent "Can you make me into a superstar?" Both sentences are fine (and better) without "into" but you hear it a lot and it wouldn't sound unnatural to a lot of people.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I agree and that's why I said that in the contexts provided, they meant the same thing but I did not say they were interchangeable. However, I would like to point out that in BrE we do say "make someone into something". Whether it's grammatically correct or not, you might hear a small child who's playing Harry Potter make-believe say "Wave your wand and make me into a princess!" or a hopeful musician asking her agent "Can you make me into a superstar?" Both sentences are fine (and better) without "into" but you hear it a lot and it wouldn't sound unnatural to a lot of people.
    I wasn't arguing with your opinion, ems. I agree with you that I would not say they were interchangeable - that was my point - even though one could replace one word with another in a certain context without making too much of a semantic or stylistic change. I don't have a problem with "people making other people into things".
    I take "interchangeable" to be literal. The prospect that two words can be "completely interchangeable", even though it results in a small difference (in any grammatical aspect), makes the concept meaningless. And to claim that these particular terms are "used" completely interchangeably is simply wrong, even if one agrees that they are interchangeable semantically.
    So, yes I agree with you.
    Last edited by Raymott; 13-Oct-2013 at 10:16.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I don't think that's a small difference. It's a difference, and hence the terms are not "completely interchangeable."
    In "The witch will turn you into a frog", 'turn' is not interchangeable with 'make'. In English, witches do not make people into frogs.
    I should add that I disagree with most assessments here of terms being interchangeable. It's common that two terms could be interchanged given a certain sentence without any great change in meaning - but even that doesn't mean that they're generally interchangeable.
    .....So why did we end up burning so many of them over the centuries?
    Seriously, Raymott, you are absolutely right in pointing out my sloppiness over "completely interchangeable"; particularly as I went on to contradict myself in the very next sentence.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....