Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The primary mechanical feature of a turbine is a rotatable element- called the runner, rotor, or wheel- that is mounted on a shaft and has a series of vanes, blades, or buckets arranged around [it's] periphery. When the moving fluid strikes the blades or buckets, the energy of the fluid is transferred to the wheel, causing rotation of the wheel and the turbine shaft.

The word "its" refers to ..... .
1- shaft2- element3- turbine4- feature

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The primary mechanical feature of a turbine is a rotatable element- called the runner, rotor, or wheel- that is mounted on a shaft and has a series of vanes, blades, or buckets arranged around [it's] periphery. When the moving fluid strikes the blades or buckets, the energy of the fluid is transferred to the wheel, causing rotation of the wheel and the turbine shaft.

The rotatable element.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree with you. However, the answer key says it is shaft. I don't get the reason.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It would only refer to "shaft" if it said "... a rotatable element - called the runner, rotor, or wheel - that is mounted on a shaft which​ has a series of vanes, blades or buckets arranged around its periphery."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I work for a company that makes turbines. Trust me, the blades are on the wheel (rotating element) which is on the shaft. The blades are not on the shaft.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree with all of you. I'm a Mechanical Engineering as well. The claim of the answer key doesn't make any sense. Please look at the another question made up from this context I have previously posted.

According to the passage, the runner of turbine ...... .
1- stops the fluid from moving2- causes the wheel to rotate3- uses its buckets to move the fluid4- is attached to the turbine shaft

Answer key says it must be 2. However, I go for 4.Because according to the text we have : runner = rotor= wheel. So how can the RUNNER causes itself(wheel) to rotate.( I'm questioning the accuracy of option 2. Besides, we have this sentence in the text : " ....or wheel- that is mounted on a shaft = is attached to the turbine shaft " ( preferring option 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.