Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi everybody,

I am dealing with these clauses for only awhile and wondering if we can transform an infinite clause into a finite clause or vice versa. is it possible?

Can anyone please help me? Some examples needed :)

Thank you so much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, DhBlue.:-D

The way the forum works is that you provide an example first.

DhBlue

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Oops, sorry.

So, how do you guys turn the non-finite (adjectival subordinate) clauses in the sentences below into a finite ones:
1. My dad has brought a book to read, but he isn't reading. Instead, he's listening to some music coming from a house in front of him.
2. He found sally's house across from a little green where hillocks offered kids a place in which to play and a bench offered their moms a place to sit.

Cheers!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. My dad has brought a book to read, but he isn't reading. Instead, he's listening to some music that is coming from a house in front of him.

You have a go at #2.

DhBlue

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thanks 5jj :)

No.2 is actually the problem. I included the sentence no.1 because i just wanted to make sure if i got it right (I did some other exercises with the same structure: the window was closed by a girl holding a thick book -> ... Who was holding a thick book)
In no.2 I cannot see which part of the sentence to change. In other words, I cannot see the non-finite clause.
Or am I too stupid on this subject? :p

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks 5jj :)

No.2 is actually the problem. I included the sentence no.1 because i just wanted to make sure if i got it right (I did some other exercises with the same structure: the window was closed by a girl holding a thick book -> ... Who was holding a thick book)
In no.2 I cannot see which part of the sentence to change. In other words, I cannot see the non-finite clause.
Or am I too stupid on this subject? :p

"2. He found Sally's house across from a little green where hillocks offered kids a place in which to play, and a bench that offered their moms a place to sit."

DhBlue

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Cheers Bhaisahab!

I think I should analyze the sentence more prudently in order to be able to see whether or not it has a 'zero that'

Again, thanks 5jj and Bhaisahab.

Glad to be member of this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.