Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi,

"What is your religious preference?"
"Catholic."

Is Catholic in this conversation a noun or an adjective or something else?
I'd like to know how to answer to "What is your religious preference?" properly when I am a Buddhist.
Could someone tell me below sentences were right or wrong as an answer to it?
Thank you.

My religious preference is Buddhism.
My religious preference is Buddhist.
My religious preference is a Buddhist.
I prefer Buddhism.
I prefer Buddhist.
I prefer a Buddist.
I am Buddhism.
I am Buddhist.
I am a Buddhist.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

"What is your religious preference?"
"Catholic."

Is Catholic in this conversation a noun or an adjective or something else?
I'd like to know how to answer to "What is your religious preference?" properly when I am a Buddhist.
Could someone tell me below sentences were right or wrong as an answer to it?
Thank you.

My religious preference is Buddhism.
My religious preference is Buddhist.
My religious preference is a Buddhist.
I prefer Buddhism.
I prefer Buddhist.
I prefer a Buddist.
I am Buddhism.
I am Buddhist.
I am a Buddhist.
It's strange to describe religions as preferences. But Buddhism is the noun, the name of the religion. Buddhist is the adjective.
"I adhere to Buddhism; I am Buddhist; I am a Buddhist." The answer to "What religion are you?" is "I am Buddhist" or "Buddhism is my religion."
The 'a' is optional in many cases, eg. I am Australian; I am an Australian. It doesn't matter.

The names of religions are very, very often mangled. Christian isn't technically a religion, Christianty is. Muslim isn't a religion; Islam is.
Jewish is not; Judaism is. However, the adjective is usually given to the simple question, "What religion are you?"; "Buddhist". This is OK. But it's wrong to say "My religion is Buddhist".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: If you talk about a 'preference' you might be thought to be trivializing the matter - a devout person might resent being asked 'What is your religious preference.'

b

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
:up: If you talk about a 'preference' you might be thought to be trivializing the matter - a devout person might resent being asked 'What is your religious preference.'

b

This question is found on the "Common Application" form for many US universities. They say that it gives them more information about the diversity of their applicants.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...which doesn't mean it's not insensitive.

For instance, if Ian Paisley were asked for his religious preference he'd probably say (in his shoutiest voice - there are many YouTube clips that will give you the idea) 'Religious preference does not enter into the case. Religious preference is neither here nor there. I was born a Protestant and a Protestant I will remain until the day I die.' ;-)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Maybe he doesn't know that the Archbishop of Canterbury after visiting John Paul II called on all Anglicans to view the Pope as their true spiritual father. Or that Anglicanism is a high church liturgy that is basically non-Protestant, except that it's a breakaway from the Roman church. But I wouldn't argue with Ian Paisley.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This question is found on the "Common Application" form for many US universities. They say that it gives them more information about the diversity of their applicants.

No-one is suggesting that asking for someone's religion is offensive or unacceptable. It is the use of the word "preference" that makes very little sense. Most people do not consider their religious beliefs a preference. They feel that their beliefs are an inextricable part of their whole character/personality/makeup. Theoretically, it would be possible for someone to answer that question with "Well, I'm a Catholic but I actually prefer Buddhism. It's just that my parents won't let me be a Buddhist."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No-one is suggesting that asking for someone's religion is offensive or unacceptable. It is the use of the word "preference" that makes very little sense. Most people do not consider their religious beliefs a preference. They feel that their beliefs are an inextricable part of their whole character/personality/makeup. Theoretically, it would be possible for someone to answer that question with "Well, I'm a Catholic but I actually prefer Buddhism. It's just that my parents won't let me be a Buddhist."

I prefer the pasta over the chicken when choosing the meal on an airplane. A person's beliefs are not a "preference."

abe_abby

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you all for replying to my question.
I apologize if the word "preference" hurt your feelings. I'm a religious person too, and I didn't mean to trivialize anything.
Thanks to Raymott, I have learned to use a proper expression: "What religion are you?"

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Maybe he doesn't know that the Archbishop of Canterbury after visiting John Paul II called on all Anglicans to view the Pope as their true spiritual father. Or that Anglicanism is a high church liturgy that is basically non-Protestant, except that it's a breakaway from the Roman church. But I wouldn't argue with Ian Paisley.

Ian Paisley is not an Anglican.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all for replying to my question.
I apologize if the word "preference" hurt your feelings. I'm a religious person too, and I didn't mean to trivialize anything.
Thanks to Raymott, I have learned to use a proper expression: "What religion are you?"

I doubt you've hurt the feelings of anyone here. For a start, some of us don't have any religious beliefs to offend but we're also well aware that English learners don't necessarily understand the nuances of things they say. As an atheist, I don't care what questions people ask about religion, as long as one of the choices on a list of religions is "None" so that I can answer honestly.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I prefer the pasta over the chicken when choosing the meal on an airplane. A person's beliefs are not a "preference."

And yet some people change their religious affiliations at some point in their lives.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Situation:

While I was talking to someone, one of the phrases I uttered was as (indefinite article + … ) but a non-native corrected me and said, "You shouldn't use an indefinite article here." Therefore, he didn’t set me a proof why the article is ungrammatical in that position.

To make myself more clearer, I expected you, ems, to write as atheist not as an atheist. Thank you, ems.

PS: I would rather not disclose what religion I am to others, I apologize.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Situation:

While I was talking to someone, one of the phrases I uttered was as (indefinite article + … ) but a non-native corrected me and said, "You shouldn't use an indefinite article here." Therefore, he didn’t set me a proof why the article is ungrammatical in that position.

To make myself more clearer, I expected you, ems, to write as atheist not as an atheist. Thank you, ems.

Ignoring the fact that this is somewhat hijacking the thread, I don't really understand your point. It is impossible to say why this unnamed non-native told you not to use the indefinite article when we don't know what the phrase was that you uttered. I can't think of a context where "As + no article + noun" would work.

As an atheist, I don't believe in any god.
As a woman, I feel that many pay scales are unfair.
As a vegetarian, I do not eat meat, fish, seafood, gelatine or animal rennet.

I cannot imagine why someone told you not to use the indefinite article in those contexts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Situation:

Ignoring the fact that this is somewhat hijacking the thread, I don't really understand your point. It is impossible to say why this unnamed non-native told you not to use the indefinite article when we don't know what the phrase was that you uttered. I can't think of a context where "As + no article + noun" would work.

As an atheist, I don't believe in any god.
As a woman, I feel that many pay scales are unfair.
As a vegetarian, I do not eat meat, fish, seafood, gelatine or animal rennet.

I cannot imagine why someone told you not to use the indefinite article in those contexts.

PS - You do not need to apologise for not wishing to disclose your religion. It is of no interest or relevance. I only gave mine because a) I don't care who knows and b) I wanted to make a specific point about the list of religions given on many questionnaires.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
PS - You do not need to apologise for not wishing to disclose your religion. It is of no interest or relevance. I only gave mine because a) I don't care who knows and b) I wanted to make a specific point about the list of religions given on many questionnaires.
And many atheists would chastise you for calling atheism a religion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And many atheists would chastise you for calling atheism a religion.

I didn't call it a religion. I said that "None" should be an option on questionnaires. If I were calling it a religion, I would say that "Atheism" should be listed as an option.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:...which is why I made him say 'Protestant'. ;-)

b

PS But I didn't think it worth derailing the discussion with details that are inscrutable for many (most?) of UE's readers.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And yet some people change their religious affiliations at some point in their lives.

True. But this is not usually a light matter, which the word preference seems to imply. When one prefers the chicken over the fish, one would accept either.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

There's no need to apologise for this, OD.

From your nationality and choice of headdress, most of us could hazard a guess, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.