• Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Question Ignite

Hello!

I'm looking for a nice, elegant synonym for "kickstart something/start something up/get something going" for a story. The context is medieval/fantasy so I can't use something that sounds too modern, like "press 'ON' " or something like that. Does anyone have any ideas?

A friend suggested "ignite" and while it sounds nice, I am afraid it sounds too much like setting something on fire. Is it possible to say, for example, "to ignite a project", or does that just sound like the project's going to burn?

The thing that needs to be started up in my story is a magical dimension, by the way. Can you "ignite" a dimension or does it just sound weird?

Help, please!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Ignite

Quote Originally Posted by emmasoderhag View Post
    Hello!

I'm looking for a nice, elegant synonym for "kickstart something/start something up/get something going" for a story. The context is medieval/fantasy so I can't use something that sounds too modern, like "press 'ON' " or something like that. Does anyone have any ideas?

A friend suggested "ignite" and while it sounds nice, I am afraid it sounds too much like setting something on fire. Is it possible to say, for example, "to ignite a project", or does that just sound like the project's going to burn?

The thing that needs to be started up in my story is a magical dimension, by the way. Can you "ignite" a dimension or does it just sound weird?

Help, please!
    I suppose that you could ignite something that opened a dimension. Usually, one ignites a fuse. How about, "With a slight movement of his wand he ignited the long dormant fuse which opened the gateway to the other dimension". An alternative might be "aborning" (being brought to life). "The other dimension was soon aborning as he chanted the old words". Though "aborning" comes from the early part of the 20th Century it has a somewhat medieval sound to it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

initiate, launch.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Thanks for the suggestions! Haven't decided yet which word to use but you've given me some ideas.