[Grammar] "I would like to walk outside rather than to stay at home." is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyeen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello,

I am a middle school student in Korea. Last week, I took a mid-exam and just wanted to check out one of English questions.

The question is to translate a Korean sentence into English and 5 points are allotted to this.
The answer that my English teachers defined is:
"I would like to take a walk rather than stay at home."
In the meantime, my answer was "I would like to walk outside rather than to stay at home."

Teachers say that my answer is completely incorrect for two reasons. First, 'walk outside' is not equal to 'take a walk', and second, 'to' is not supposed to be followed by rather than.

Is there anyone who can advise if my answer is completely wrong or a little bit worth even partial points?
I don't still understand why 'walk outside' cannot be used instead of 'take a walk'.

Thank you for reading my post. I appeciate your comments.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would be happy enough with your answer. 'Take a walk' is not exactly equivalent to 'walk outside', but it's perfectly acceptable here and, in my opinion, more natural.

We don't generally us a to- infinitive after rather than, but I don't consider using it to be a serious mistake.

Alyeen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your comments. My understanding from your comments is it should be okay to use it like what I answered.

However, my English teacher (she is a Korean) finally decided to mark me down. no points at all, even a partial points. :cry:

Too sad and worried about how to learn English from onward. I feel like I'm getting afraid of using English as a second language here in Korea because they teach English like 'math'. They seem to consider English grammar something like math formular. Even though I make even a small piece of mistake in grammar and it has no problem in communication, they just judge it is completely wrong. I believe this is a serious problem of the way to teach English in Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.