Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 18
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    When to use the preposition IN, ON, AT ???

    I am too bad in these prepositions: In, on, at.
    I don't know when to use them.

    For example:

    "I didn't let you in/on/at beach." <------ Must I use IN, ON, or AT in this sentence?

    Thank you!

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: When to use the preposition IN, ON, AT ???

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnesteixeira View Post
    I am too bad in these prepositions: In, on, at.
    I don't know when to use them.

    For example:

    "I didn't let you in/on/at beach." <------ Must I use IN, ON, or AT in this sentence?

    Thank you!
    "On the beach" in that use.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 21,473
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: When to use the preposition IN, ON, AT ???

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnesteixeira View Post


    "I didn't let you in/on/at the beach." <------ Must I use IN, ON, or AT in this sentence?
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'I didn't let you in/on/at the beach'.

    You could say 'I didn't see you on the beach' or 'I didn't see you at the beach.'

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: When to use the preposition IN, ON, AT ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'I didn't let you in/on/at the beach'.

    You could say 'I didn't see you on the beach' or 'I didn't see you at the beach.'
    I assumed that the OP meant that he stopped somebody from using the beach.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,265
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: When to use the preposition IN, ON, AT ???

    If the OP's job is to guard the entrance to a beach, then that's fine. Otherwise, I can't see how anyone could not let someone else on the beach. I wondered if perhaps it should have been "I didn't let you go to the beach" (perhaps what a parent says to a child).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: When to use the preposition IN, ON, AT ???

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If the OP's job is to guard the entrance to a beach, then that's fine. Otherwise, I can't see how anyone could not let someone else on the beach. I wondered if perhaps it should have been "I didn't let you go to the beach" (perhaps what a parent says to a child).
    It might also be a privately owned beach. But I agree, this is all speculation.

Similar Threads

  1. preposition of
    By Abstract Idea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2009, 14:11
  2. preposition.
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2009, 06:18
  3. preposition
    By learner110 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2009, 15:25
  4. preposition
    By malta22 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2009, 22:58
  5. [Grammar] object of a preposition and preposition definitions
    By mandah in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 21:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •