Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Is my doctor/professor or teacher a common phrase among students in developed countries such as Britain, USA, Canada, Australia, and others?

To me, I would say a teacher whom I take class with or a teacher who teaches us/me in English, for example. Do you have a set phrase when you refer to someone who gives you a formal/regular or an informal class, please? What should we say here?

Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is my doctor/professor or teacher a common phrase among students in developed countries such as Britain, USA, Canada, Australia, and others?

To me, I would say a teacher whom I take class with or a teacher who teaches us/me in English, for example. Do you have a set phrase when you refer to someone who gives you a formal/regular or an informal class, please? What should we say here?

Thank you.

We very commonly use "my" with teacher, doctor, dentist, tutor, accountant, plumber, contractor, electrician, financial adviser, etc.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is NO sense that the teacher belongs to you or that you are the only person taught by that teacher, if that's what you're worried about.

If I said "My doctor suggested I lose weight" I simply mean "the doctor that I visit" not "my personal doctor, whom no one else sees."

"A teacher who teaches us" is very unnatural compared to "My teacher."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In addition, you can add a subject (a topic, not the grammatical term) to the teacher construction. You don't need to say "The teacher who teaches me English" or "My teacher who teaches me English", just "my English teacher".

Status
Not open for further replies.