[Grammar] Different participles the same meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Raymott,
Thank you for your examples. If you study them closely you will see that all "being asked-s" you used in your sentences are the gerund and not the participle.

"I like being asked to parties."
"Being asked to parties pleases me."
"Being asked hard questions frustrates me."

I can't think of any case where I'd write, "Being asked, I went to the party".

Well what about this one "Constantly being asked to visit the parties, I gave in."

PS: "Of course, but writing a sentence with "being asked" in it won't solve your problem..."
I am curious now about your concept of not giving examples as to help someone solve a problem dealing with a language. What would you suggest instead?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well what about this one "Constantly being asked to visit the parties, I gave in."

I find that example sentence very unnatural. I would say "Constantly being asked to go to parties eventually made me give in". The beginning of the sentence means "The situation in which I was constantly being invited to parties".

I have assumed that by saying "being asked to visit the parties", you meant "being invited to parties".

I might also say "Constantly being invited to parties is very tiring!"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Raymott,
Thank you for your examples. If you study them closely you will see that all "being asked-s" you used in your sentences are the gerund and not the participle.

"I like being asked to parties."
"Being asked to parties pleases me."
"Being asked hard questions frustrates me."

I can't think of any case where I'd write, "Being asked, I went to the party".

Well what about this one "Constantly being asked to visit the parties, I gave in." Very unnatural, as I said.

PS: "Of course, but writing a sentence with "being asked" in it won't solve your problem..."
I am curious now about your concept of not giving examples as to help someone solve a problem dealing with a language.
No I didn't say that (see below).
What would you suggest instead?
You started the thread wanting to know about the use of "Being asked, ..." or "Constantly being asked...." Giving examples of using "being asked" in other contexts won't help you understand that. As you've identified, if your concern is its use as a participial phrase, giving you examples of the gerund isn't helpful. But seeing you changed the focus some posts back, I gave you what you asked for - sentences with "being asked" in them and, correct me I'm wrong, they were not helpful, as I predicted.

PS: I note that emsr2d2 has given you some more examples using the gerund. These sound natural to me, whereas the ones you've written with the participle don't.

Last edited:

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Raymott, wait a second! I didn't ask you to give me examples with "being asked" being the gerund. So, don't say that you gave me what I had asked for as I asked about examples with "being asked" being the participle. Thank you very much for your time don't bother to answer further as it's infertile anyway.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Raymott, wait a second! I didn't ask you to give me examples with "being asked" being the gerund. So, don't say that you gave me what I had asked for as I asked about examples with "being asked" being the participle.
You wrote (post #19), " Could you give a good example of "being asked" in a sentence? Raymott did, explaining the problems.
Thank you very much for your time don't bother to answer further as it's infertile anyway.
That comes across as rather rude to someone who has spent some time trying to help you. Please take more care with your use of words.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
You wrote (post #19), " Could you give a good example of "being asked" in a sentence? Raymott did, explaining the problems.

That's right. I said: " Could you give a good example of "being asked" in a sentence? But I never said that it was supposed to be the gerund. And as the title of the thread is "Different participles the same meaning?" then it is self-evident what I meant.

That comes across as rather rude to someone who has spent some time trying to help you. Please take more care with your use of words.
Quite the opposite. I just want to save his and my time from being wasted as nothing worthy worked out. Why go on?

[h=1][/h]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Has it occurred to you that maybe it's not all that natural or common for us to make sentences with "Being asked" as a participle?

Status
Not open for further replies.