[General] Can I improve my English listening with podcasts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I am studying English alone, because I don't have money (English schools are too expensive here) to make an English course and time to that.
I am focused in my listening, because is the most important skill to learn a new language, and I'm liking it, I'm improving more my listening, and it helps in my speaking too. For traine my listening, I download podcasts on the BBC Learning English site (a great website, with podcasts, idioms, important things, and others), I send it to my cell phone and I listen it several times, until I get decorate, and I listen again without the text from what is being talked, and I get to understand almost all, about 95% of the podcasts. I don't do just it, I also study the grammar, I write texts, read american books, I also started to know the american culture and the most popular foods, and because I don't have nobody to make conversations, I talk to myself. I always want to get a big contact with the English!

I'd like to know if that could helps in my listening (and in my speaking, because listening English, I get to know how one word is
pronounced)

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES!

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Oh, that should definitely help. I'm not British by nationality, so I can tell you that listening to programs brodcast in English is a great solution to improve your speaking and obviously listening skills. You could also try playing a 'copycat' - I mean repeating the words that you can hear while listening. Since you often use your mobile to playback the podcasts, that should be easy to do with the pause button. :-D

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Oh, that should definitely help. I'm not British by nationality, so I can tell you that listening to programs brodcast in English is a great solution to improve your speaking and obviously listening skills. :-D

I will try to do it. I need to learn English, to learn Italian after.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What you're doing will definitely help you.

PS until I get decorate do you mean learn/know off by heart? I think you may be translating there and using a false friend. :up:

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I think you may be translating there and using a false friend. :up:

No, I don't use translators more. When I didn't study English I used it, but I don't need translators more. I have an intermediate vocabulary and a basic grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.