Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A: Well, I gave notice at the bank, in two weeks I'll be working as a full time photographer.
I believe 'in two week' means 'up to two week from now'. It means 'until two weeks'. Am I right?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A: Well, I gave notice at the bank, in two weeks I'll be working as a full time photographer.
I believe 'in two week' means 'up to two week from now'. It means 'until two weeks'. Am I right?

No, it means "two weeks from now". The person gave the bank notice that he/she will be leaving in two weeks. Your sentence should have a semicolon or a period (full stop) after "bank". As it is written, it is a comma splice.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I didn't get it completely.
It means:
1. Before two weeks (from now)?
2. After two weeks?
3. Exactly at two weeks?
For example if today is Jun 1,
1. Before Jun 15?
2. After Jun 15?
3. On Jun 15?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't get it completely.
It means:
1. Before two weeks (from now)?
2. After two weeks?
3. Exactly at two weeks?
For example if today is Jun 1,
1. Before Jun 15?
2. After Jun 15?
3. On Jun 15?

It is impossible (from only this sentence) to know exactly when the photography job will begin. All we know is that the person will be working at the bank for two more weeks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is impossible (from only this sentence) to know exactly when the photography job will begin. All we know is that the person will be working at the bank for two more weeks.
We don't know that for certain. All we know is that if, two weeks from today, we ask the speaker "What do you do", s/he will reply, "I am a full-time photographer".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
When you say 'for two more weeks' it means 'after two weeks'

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We don't know that for certain. All we know is that if, two weeks from today, we ask the speaker "What do you do", s/he will reply, "I am a full-time photographer".
It means leaving the bank is 'before the two weeks'

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say 'for two more weeks' it means 'after two weeks'

No. "For two more weeks" refers to the period of time that the person will be working at the bank. After two weeks, the person will be a photographer.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
In two weeks (or In two weeks' time) means, in this particular case, that you will start your new job as a photographer at the end of the period of two weeks starting from now. That's when your job will start, after two weeks, not before. Or in other words, another two weeks will have gone when you start your job as a photographer.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In two weeks (or In two weeks' time) means, in this particular case, that you will start your new job as a photographer at the end of the period of two weeks starting from now. That's when your job will start, after two weeks, not before. Or in other words, another two weeks will have gone when you start your job as a photographer.
Something I need to know is that whether the formula 'in + length of time' is only used for saying 'after' or it can also be used for the meaning of 'before' in some sentences? Would you please give me examples of both: when 'in + length of time' means 'before' and when it means 'after'?
Thanks,

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Your wish is my command ;-)
Here's an example sentence conveying the meaning of something happening 'before the end of a stated period of time':

Before becoming a photographer, I needed to sort things out at the bank. I managed to do it in two weeks (or within two weeks - that's how long it took me to do it).

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.