John said that he did not like that/the party and wanted to go home straightaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
John: I don't like this party. I want to go home now.

John said that he did not like that/the party and wanted to go home straightaway.

Should I use 'that' or 'the'? And is the underlined word correct in the reported sentence?

Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
John: I don't like this party. I want to go home now.

Should I use 'that' or 'the'? And is the underlined word correct in the reported sentence?

Thanks
I would write, "John said that he didn't like the party and wanted to go home." Don't use 'that'.
"straightaway" appears in the dictionaries. I'd use "straight away".

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks, Raymott.

Why should I not use 'that'?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not what a native speaker would say. It suggests there was another party he did like.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, Raymott.

Why should I not use 'that'?
Because of context. By the time it's reported in that way, which party has already been established.
Of course, John could have said, "I don't like the party" when he was there, but we'd tend to use 'this' even though there would be little ambiguity in this case.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
By the time it's reported in that way, which party has already been established.
Raymott, what is that you wanted to say? I seem to be missing your point reading the sentence. :-?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Raymott, what is that you wanted to say? I seem to be missing your point reading the sentence. :-?
By the time this sentence occurs in reported speech, the party that is being referred to will have been established. That is to say, encountering the sentence, "John said that he did not like that/the party and wanted to go home straightaway."would be extremely unlikely in the real world if it wasn't known which party was being spoken or written about. Also, in real life, it would be known by the hearer who John was before this sentence appeared in the report.
One cannot use this sentence meaningfully without the hearer knowing which John and which party are being referred to. Hence "the party" is adequate.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Thanks for the explanation. I was actually referring to your sentence, the second part in particular. I can't understand how it's related to the first part. I mean the wording.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the explanation. I was actually referring to your sentence, the second part in particular. I can't understand how it's related to the first part. I mean the wording.
OK ... I'll try again. I thought I had it all covered.

The first clause means "By the time this sentence appears as a report". Forget about this being a grammar exercise. This is a sentence that purports to report a past event. Thus it's establishing a time frame. That may be unnecessary, since most people know what reported speech is.
So, let's change it to "in reported speech".
The second clause means that the specific party we are talking about (which party it was) is already known to the hearer. As I said above, the sentence can't be used until this is established. For example, I can't just say to you, "Mary didn't enjoy the play". That's meaningless to you unless you know who Mary is and which play we're talking about. So prior to saying that, I have to let you know who and what I'm talking about.
Hence, by the time it's reported in this way (Mary didn't enjoy the play), you will already know which Mary and which play I'm talking about - by the pragmatics of language use.
Hence similarly, "By the time it's reported in that way, which party has already been established."
In reported speech certain parameters must already have been established before you can use a sentence such as the index sentence we are discussing. One of those parameters that is known already is which party we are talking about. Hence "the party" is sufficient in reported speech.

If it's my use of "which" which is worrying you, note that I've italicized or bolded it both times. It's stressed.

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
If it's my use of "which" which is worrying you, note that I've italicized or bolded it both times. It's stressed.
That was it, that which - I just couldn't get my head around it. Thanks again for an elaborate explanation.
Now I get it - the party in question, or the one that we're talking about or is referred to = which party.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.