Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
Many of the choices you make in terms of what types of words to include, how formal you want the written project to be, and how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors will also contribute to your own individual writing style.

I am having problems with the underline material. I think I know the following:

Subject=Many
Transitive Verb =will contribute
Direct object=to your own individual writing style.
Prepositional phrase=of the choices (modifies Many)
Adjective Clause=you make in terms of what types of words to include (modifies choices)

But even in the direct object is the object of the preposition of to individual or style?
And in the Adjective Clause is what functioning as an adjective?
Are "how formal...to be." and "how you use creative...metaphors." modifying choices?

Does this ever get easier?

Thanks in advance

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With the Reed-Kellogg system it is not only easier but fun! You might ask your teacher if you would be allowed to use that system.

Frank

Katherine99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
With the Reed-Kellogg system it is not only easier but fun! You might ask your teacher if you would be allowed to use that system.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm not a student; I graduated school a long time ago but never really understood grammar so here I am determined to understand. I use a free online Reed-Kellogg system to help me but the software doesn't accept the sentence because it's too long. I trimmed the sentence a bit and this is what I got:

Sentence II.jpg

I replaced the following:

words=what types of words to include
formality=how formal you want the written project to be
creativity=how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors

Are the above noun clauses functioning as objects of the preposition of? And is the diagram correct for the sentence that I posted?

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Frank,

I'm not a student; I graduated school a long time ago but never really understood grammar so here I am determined to understand. I use a free online Reed-Kellogg system to help me but the software doesn't accept the sentence because it's too long. I trimmed the sentence a bit and this is what I got:

View attachment 1630

I replaced the following:

words=what types of words to include
formality=how formal you want the written project to be
creativity=how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors

Are the above noun clauses functioning as objects of the preposition of? And is the diagram correct for the sentence that I posted?

Very interesting. My one immediate suggestion is with "writing style". I would say that "style" is the object of the preposition "to" and that "your" "own", "individual", and "writing" go under it as modifiers. "Writing style" could probably be thought of as a compound noun. Also there should be no indicator of a direct object for "will contribute"

The order of "own" and "your" is incorrect.

You might want to consider my Youtube Channel "Frank Antonson" the "play list" "Diagramming Sentences for Fun".

Keep up the good work. It's cool to see your interest.

Katherine99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
Very interesting. My one immediate suggestion is with "writing style". I would say that "style" is the object of the preposition "to" and that "your" "own", "individual", and "writing" go under it as modifiers. "Writing style" could probably be thought of as a compound noun. Also there should be no indicator of a direct object for "will contribute"

The order of "own" and "your" is incorrect.

You might want to consider my Youtube Channel "Frank Antonson" the "play list" "Diagramming Sentences for Fun".

Keep up the good work. It's cool to see your interest.

Thanks, but what about the clauses? Are they noun clauses and are they the objects of the preposition of?

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. They are.

This is quite an intricate sentence.

If you wish, I will diagram it on a blackboard and post a video of that on my Youtube Channel. I have done that several times before. Then it's easier to talk about.

Let me know.

Katherine99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
Yes. They are.

This is quite an intricate sentence.

If you wish, I will diagram it on a blackboard and post a video of that on my Youtube Channel. I have done that several times before. Then it's easier to talk about.

Let me know.

Yes! I would really appreciate that.

Thank You.

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I should be able to find time today. I'll let you know when it is uploaded.

Frank

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The video is now uploaded. I don't think I am allowed to give you the link here, but you can find it easily if you go to Youtube, Frank Antonson, scroll down to Recent Uploads,

It is called "For UsingEnglish.com 3"

It was quick and rough, but I am sure you'll understand it.

Katherine99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
The video is now uploaded. I don't think I am allowed to give you the link here, but you can find it easily if you go to Youtube, Frank Antonson, scroll down to Recent Uploads,

It is called "For UsingEnglish.com 3"

It was quick and rough, but I am sure you'll understand it.

Thank You Frank; I love it. One question on the noun clause "how formal you want the written project to be" are you saying that "the written project" could be the subject of the infinitive "to be"? Ex: You want the written project to be how formal.

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say it that way if you want to.

Reed-Kellogg calls it an objective complement.

I use the example "The sun made the tomatoes ripe", which is like "The sun made the tomatoes (to be) ripe".

Hence, "You made the project (how) formal."

Objective complements are not widely understood or recognized.

Thanks for watching.

Sawsawxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many of the choices you make in terms of what types of words to include, how formal you want the written project to be, and how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors will also contribute to your own individual writing style.
Subject=Many
No, "many" is the head of the subject noun phrase "many of the choices you make in terms of what types of words to include, how formal you want the written project to be, and how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors".
Transitive Verb = will contribute Direct object=to your own individual writing style.
"Will contribute" is not a verb; it's two verbs, the modal "will" and the intransitive verb "contribute". It's intransitive because it takes a PP complement ("to your own individual writing style"), not an object. PPs cannot be objects.
Prepositional phrase = of the choices (modifies Many)
"of the choices you make in terms of what types of words to include, how formal you want the written project to be, and how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors" is a PP, not just "of the choices" and it doesn't modify "many"; it complements it.
Adjective Clause=you make in terms of what types of words to include (modifies choices)
Not quite: "you make in terms of what types of words to include, how formal you want the written project to be, and how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors", not just "you make in terms of what types of words to include", is a relative clause (modifying "choices"). I would avoid using the term "adjective clause" altogether. It's not really appropriate terminology these days.
is the object of the preposition to individual or style?
Neither. It's "your own individual writing style". "Individual" is an adjective modifying "writing style". "Style" is the head of the object NP.
And in the relative cause is what functioning as an adjective?
No, it's functioning as a determiner.
Are "how formal...to be." and "how you use creative...metaphors." modifying choices?
No. Those function as coordinates in the NP/clause/clause-coordination (a coordination of an NP and two clauses) "what types of words to include, how formal you want the written project to be, and how you use creative aspects of language like analogies and metaphors", which functions as complement to the preposition "of".

Last edited:

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is probably all correct. It is simply not the language of Reed-Kellogg. The two systems do not mix well. Such mixing only leads to confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.