• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

followed by

I am not sure if I have used "followed by" correctly in this sentence. Thank you.

I sent my first letter to XXX Company on June 15, 2013 followed by three more letters on July 15th, August 3rd and September 3rd. When I still did not receive any reply I then called XXX Company last Thursday. A lady explained they were short of staff therefore they had not responded to my letter.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: followed by

Quote Originally Posted by robin lee View Post
    I am not sure if I have used "followed by" correctly in this sentence. Thank you.

I sent my first letter to XXX Company on June 15, 2013, followed by three more letters on July 15th, August 3rd and September 3rd. When I still did not receive any reply I then called XXX Company last Thursday. A lady explained they were short of staff, therefore they had not responded to my letter.
    Yes, it's correct. I would change "...I still did not receive..." to "I had not received...".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

...they were "short-staffed" is the American way to say this.

If they are unable to respond to customer correspondence in three months, they won't be in business much longer.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    ...they were "short-staffed" is the American way to say this.

If they are unable to respond to customer correspondence in three months, they won't be in business much longer.
    And yet thousands of companies seem to manage to stay in business despite their appalling customer service. It's a mystery.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.