[General] Verb type exercise on ‘ bring’, it should be near perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperback

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Europe
Replace the underlined words by one of the following multi-word verbs:
Bring out, bring in, bring off.
Bring round( two meanings), bring up.
Bring back, bring forward, bring out.

Bring on.
1. The day the government decided to ‘introduce’ new measures, I didn’t yet know what they would ‘cause to happen’ and I didn’t care, because I felt too tired. But when I went back to the hospital after a three weeks’ rest and complete isolation, I found out that all the members of the staff had been replaced by robots.
2. This had ‘ produced ‘ a completely different atmosphere, which I sensed the moment I entered the big hall. I won’t deny that it affected me, although I had been educated by a robot myself.
3. As I was making my first round, I tried to ‘ remember’ the moments when the robot had comforted me, when it had been at my bedside for days on end, without showing signs of boredom or tiredness. I knew I was being silly, but I couldn’t shake off the feeling that I was constantly being watched, that from now on mistakes and weakness would be fatal. After all, my colleagues had been replaced by robots.
4. I ‘discussed’ it with my superiors, but in vain.
5. I spend most of the time in the operating-theatre from than on, because that was the only place they hadn’t invaded yet. This morning they ‘brought’ a fatally wounded man to the place. The case seemed hopeless, but nevertheless I was asked to operate on him. Suddenly it flashed through my mind that this was a test and desperatly I took my instruments.
After forty minutes I still hadn’t succeeded in reviving the patient. The moment I wanted to give up, the door was quietly opened and a robot entered the room. There was something familiar in the way the green eyes slowly turned from me to the patient…
6. Another twenty five minutes later he put down the instruments and I knew he had ‘succeed’ in the operation.
7. For one moment I hoped he wouldn’t ‘ cause’ my failure to appear but then I remembered that robots don’t have a heart.

1. The day the government decided to bring in new measures, I didn’t yet know what they would bring on (bring ours) and I didn’t care, because I felt too tired. a)Bring on: cause something, typically something unpleasant, to occur. b)Bring in: New safety regulations are brought in. She brought us so much happiness over the years.
2. This had brought (on) a completely different atmosphere, which I sensed the moment I entered the big hall.
3. As I was making my first round, I tried to bring back... / it brought me back to the moments when the robot had comforted me, when it had been at my bedside for days on end, without showing signs of boredom or tiredness.
4. I brought it up with my superiors, but in vain.
5. …This morning they brought round (US: around) a fatally wounded man to the place…
6. Another twenty five minutes later he put down the instruments and I knew he had brought the operation off brilliantly.
7. For one moment I hoped he wouldn’t bring out my failure, but then I remembered that robots don’t have a heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are you going to submit this homework assignment to your teacher/tutor?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not seeing any underlined words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperback

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Europe
Hi, Believe it or not, I’m studying on myown. Of course they aren’t underlined but set with quotation marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.