Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I was looking at Longman dictionary and suddenly I came across this example. [ Paul was left feeling distinctly foolish.]
don't we use infinitive + to after passive voice? I mean what if we used : Paul was left to feel distinctly foolish.?

What's difference between them?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was looking at Longman dictionary and suddenly I came across this example. [ Paul was left feeling distinctly foolish.]
don't we use infinitive + to after passive voice? I mean what if we used : Paul was left to feel distinctly foolish.?

What's difference between them?

The first, with -ing, is correct and natural. The second is not natural.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the topic of this grammar? I mean how we can use -ing after passive voice. Can you give me another example?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What's the topic of this grammar? I mean how we can use -ing after passive voice. Can you give me another example?

John was left holding the baby.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.
If you do not mind, let me give you some more examples:

1) She was left crying;
2) She was left to cry.

Both seem grammatically correct to me.
But there, however subtle, must be a difference. As I see it, the first sentence depicts the state - she had already started to cry when someone left her.
The second one, to my mind, may suggest she had not started to cry when someone left her, but she was perhaps about to do so; the emphasis in this case is on her not getting any help when she needed it - nobody was going to comfort her.

I am not a native speaker, nor an English teacher.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The second one, to my mind, may suggest she had not started to cry when someone left her, but she was perhaps about to do so; the emphasis in this case is on her not getting any help when she needed it - nobody was going to comfort her.

It could be this, but it could also mean that someone saw that she was going to cry and left her in peace to do so. It doesn't have to be uncaring IMO.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It could be this, but it could also mean that someone saw that she was going to cry and left her in peace to do so. It doesn't have to be uncaring IMO.
No, it doesn't... I agree. This is certainly not the only possible context. I was in haste, trying to come up with something that would be able to fire Freeguy's imagination. I should have used something less strong than the formula "the emphasis is...".

Status
Not open for further replies.