Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would like to seek someone to solve the below problems about combining sentences with using present participle & past participle. Please help to comments the below rewritten sentences.

S1) Robert listened to his iPod. He walked down the road.
R1) Listening to his iPod, Robert walked down the road. [ Why the past participle (Listened) cannot be used in sentence. ]

S2) In January 2001, Wikipedia stated as a side-project of Nupedia. It is one of the most popular websites today.
R2) Stated as a side-project of Nupedia, Wikipedia is one of the most popular websites today. [ Why the present participle (Stating) cannot be used in sentence. ]

Would you mind telling the details or criteria when combine sentences with using present participle & past participle?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to seek someone to solve the below problems about combining sentences with using present participle & past participle. Please help to comments the below rewritten sentences.

S1) Robert listened to his iPod. He walked down the road.
R1) Listening to his iPod, Robert walked down the road. [ Why the past participle (Listened) cannot be used in sentence. ]

S2) In January 2001, Wikipedia stated as a side-project of Nupedia. It is one of the most popular websites today.
R2) Stated as a side-project of Nupedia, Wikipedia is one of the most popular websites today. [ Why the present participle (Stating) cannot be used in sentence. ]

Would you mind telling the details or criteria when combine sentences with using present participle & past participle?

The correct statement for S! is "Robert was listening to his iPod. He walked down the road."

Because he was listening as he walked, the present participle "listening" is correct.

In your second group, I assume the correct word is "started" not "stated".

Because Nupedia was started in the past, the past participle "Started" is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.