Learn English with TV series. Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I would like to know if learn English with series is possible....
How must I watch it?

- With the audio in English and the subtitles in my native language (Portuguese)
- With the audio in English and the subtitles also in English
- With the audio in my native language (Portuguese) and the subtitles in English
- With the audio in English without subtitles

Could you say me what the best form?

Observation: I don't have a good listening yet, but I am improving it with podcasts.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would like to know if learn English with series is possible....
How must I watch it?

- With the audio in English and the subtitles in my native language (Portuguese)
- With the audio in English and the subtitles also in English
- With the audio in my native language (Portuguese) and the subtitles in English
- With the audio in English without subtitles

Could you say me what the best form?

Observation: I don't have a good listening yet, but I am improving it with podcasts.

I would recommend both audio and subtitles in English.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with bhai, but with the usual warning that subtitles (AE closed captions) are intended to help the hard of hearing and do not always provide an accurate transcription of the dialogue.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I recommend watching each episode without the aid of either subtitles or your native language audio first. It will be interesting for you to see how much of it you understand without any help. After watching it once that way, watch it again with English subtitles. If after watching it with both English audio and English subtitles, you are still unclear about any of it, watch it in your native language so that you can pick up the few lines you couldn't get before.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker. I'm learning English as well and what I can suggest you:

I'm absolutely sure that the most helpful way to improve your listening skills is watching what you want without subtitles. It's very important. You should try to understand personages, not read subtitles. If you don't understand completely what is going on in a film - turn them.

Boris.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why not use all possible ways of doing it, especially if you're watching something more than once?

Status
Not open for further replies.