Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 14
    #1

    Appropriate grammar

    hi again

    witch is better?

    I am able to cover the costs of my living and education.

    or

    I have ability to to cover the costs of my living and education.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Appropriate grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by sarve-azad View Post
    hi again

    witch is better?

    I am able to cover the costs of my living and education.

    or

    I have ability to to cover the costs of my living and education.
    The first is better. The second would be better with "the" before "ability" and one less "to" after "ability". Both would be better with "expenses" at the end.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 14
    #3

    Re: Appropriate grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The first is better. The second would be better with "the" before "ability" and one less "to" after "ability". Both would be better with "expenses" at the end.
    thank you.
    as you say the correct form is :

    "I am able to cover the costs of my living and education expenses."

    Is it right?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Appropriate grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by sarve-azad View Post
    thank you.
    as you say the correct form is :

    "I am able to cover the costs of my living and education expenses."

    Is it right?
    That is correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,500
    #5

    Re: Appropriate grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by sarve-azad View Post
    hi again Unnecessary and ungrammatical.

    ​witch Which is better?
    A better title would have been 'I am able/I have ability'.

    Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

    'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Similar Threads

  1. Descriptive grammar and standard english grammar
    By guzhao67 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2010, 07:14
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2009, 19:24
  3. Grammar Websites and Grammar Chats
    By Grammar Needs Improving in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2009, 19:32
  4. [Grammar] contemporary grammar, communicative grammar
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2008, 10:54
  5. Prescriptive grammar and Descriptive grammar
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2005, 13:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •