Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 5
    #1

    Grammar Help

    Hello Everyone,

    I really need some help on a few points please. Read the following sentence below:


    I’d visited Spain before, but that was my first time in Granada.

    Now write down:


    1. The Meaning
    2. The Form
    3. Pronunciation


    I have completed this example and it has been checked by tutors
    Example
    But sooner or later we have to sleep.

    Meaning
    The have to in this grammar structure means that the action in necessary and that there is no choice. It expresses an external obligation.

    Form
    have to + bare infinitive
    we have to sleep
    Have to
    is a semi-modal auxiliary verb.

    Pronunciation
    ...we have to sleep. /ˈhævtəˈsliːp/
    There is linking between
    have and the weak form of to. The /v/ sound in have often changes to /f/ although some people still pronounce it /v/. Sentence stress is placed on have and the bare infinitive.

    Thank you in advance


  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,925
    #2

    Re: Grammar Help

    Quote Originally Posted by 06450 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I really need some help on a few points please. Read the following sentence below:


    I’d visited Spain before, but that was my first time in Granada.

    Now write down:


    1. The Meaning
    2. The Form
    3. Pronunciation


    I have completed this example and it has been checked by tutors
    Example
    But sooner or later we have to sleep.

    Meaning
    The have to in this grammar structure means that the action in necessary and that there is no choice. It expresses an external obligation.

    Form
    have to + bare infinitive
    we have to sleep
    Have to
    is a semi-modal auxiliary verb.

    Pronunciation
    ...we have to sleep. /ˈhævtəˈsliːp/
    There is linking between
    have and the weak form of to. The /v/ sound in have often changes to /f/ although some people still pronounce it /v/. Sentence stress is placed on have and the bare infinitive.

    Thank you in advance

    I have no idea what relevance the sentence about Spain has.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 5
    #3

    Angry Re: Grammar Help

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I have no idea what relevance the sentence about Spain has.
    Neither do I...

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #4

    Re: Grammar Help

    Quote Originally Posted by 06450 View Post
    Neither do I...
    But you wrote it! You must know why it's relevant to your post. I'm assuming it's another example that you have to analyse. If that's the case, you should know that we don't do homework here.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,925
    #5

    Re: Grammar Help

    You posted it!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 5
    #6

    Re: Grammar Help

    I'm not sure why you have all got offended. I'm only new to this forum

  7. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: Grammar Help

    Welcome to the forum, 06450.

    Nobody is offended. We are merely surprised that you don't know yourself why you posted something.

  8. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #8

    Re: Grammar Help

    Quote Originally Posted by 06450 View Post
    I'm not sure why you have all got offended. I'm only new to this forum
    No one's offended. We just couldn't understand your post.

  9. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 5
    #9

    Re: Grammar Help

    It's something I need to analsye. All I wanted is your suggestions. But I guess from the intonation I am receiving it seems as though I am not very welcome here.

  10. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,925
    #10

    Re: Grammar Help

    Which sentence are you trying to analyse?

    "I'd visited Spain before but that was my first time in Granada" or "But sooner or later we have to sleep"?

    The latter, by the way, is not a sentence.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Descriptive grammar and standard english grammar
    By guzhao67 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2010, 07:14
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2009, 19:24
  3. Grammar Websites and Grammar Chats
    By Grammar Needs Improving in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2009, 19:32
  4. [Grammar] contemporary grammar, communicative grammar
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2008, 10:54
  5. Prescriptive grammar and Descriptive grammar
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2005, 13:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •