Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Everyone,

I really need some help on a few points please. Read the following sentence below:

I’d visited Spain before, but that was my first time in Granada.

Now write down:

1. The Meaning
  2. The Form
  3. Pronunciation

I have completed this example and it has been checked by tutors
Example
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]But sooner or later
we have to sleep[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial].[/FONT][/FONT]

Meaning
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The have to in this grammar structure means that the action in necessary and that there is no choice. It expresses an external obligation.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Form
have to + bare infinitive
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]we have to sleep [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
Have to
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]is a semi-modal auxiliary verb. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
Pronunciation
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]...we have to sleep. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Unicode MS,Arial Unicode MS][FONT=Arial Unicode MS,Arial Unicode MS]/ˈhævtəˈsliːp/ [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
There is linking between
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]have [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]and the weak form of [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]to. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]/v/ [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]sound in [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]have [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]often changes to [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]/f/ [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]although some people still pronounce it /v/. Sentence stress is placed on [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]have [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]and the bare infinitive.

Thank you in advance
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

I really need some help on a few points please. Read the following sentence below:

I’d visited Spain before, but that was my first time in Granada.

Now write down:

1. The Meaning
  2. The Form
  3. Pronunciation

I have completed this example and it has been checked by tutors
Example
But sooner or later we have to sleep.

Meaning
The have to in this grammar structure means that the action in necessary and that there is no choice. It expresses an external obligation.

Form
have to + bare infinitive
we have to sleep
Have to
is a semi-modal auxiliary verb.

Pronunciation
...we have to sleep. /ˈhævtəˈsliːp/
There is linking between
have and the weak form of to. The /v/ sound in have often changes to /f/ although some people still pronounce it /v/. Sentence stress is placed on have and the bare infinitive.

Thank you in advance

I have no idea what relevance the sentence about Spain has.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Neither do I...
But you wrote it! You must know why it's relevant to your post. I'm assuming it's another example that you have to analyse. If that's the case, you should know that we don't do homework here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You posted it!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure why you have all got offended. I'm only new to this forum

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, 06450.

Nobody is offended. We are merely surprised that you don't know yourself why you posted something.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm not sure why you have all got offended. I'm only new to this forum
No one's offended. We just couldn't understand your post.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's something I need to analsye. All I wanted is your suggestions. But I guess from the intonation I am receiving it seems as though I am not very welcome here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which sentence are you trying to analyse?

"I'd visited Spain before but that was my first time in Granada" or "But sooner or later we have to sleep"?

The latter, by the way, is not a sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I guess from the intonation I am receiving
I type silently!
it seems as though I am not very welcome here.
Not at all. It's merely that we did not understand something - as three of us said, and two of us explained. if you had responded by saying that the inclusion of the first part had been a mistake, we would simply have proceeded to the second part.

We would, however, have had a problem with that too. We like to help when we can, but we don't help with homework assignments. Your tutor wants to know what we can do, not what we can do.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The first sentence. I'd visited... My guess is that the tense is past perfect

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I appreciate that. Thank you. This one is not any type of homework. Just a task I have got from a textbook which had just confused me so much. I have done all the rest of the task just the three points outlined are outstanding. Sorry if I caused any issues. I am new here and want to be able to support where I can
No problem.

However, it seems that you have a task to carry out for your tutor, and we just can't help with that.

I don't think I am breaking forum rules if I say, "I wouldn't worry too much about your responses".

Status
Not open for further replies.