• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Progressive tense and stative verbs

Hi!

When I was studying present progressive tense, it was mentioned in my grammar book that some verbs called stative verbs cannot be used with present progressive. Now, I would like to know that is this rule true for the other progressive tenses such as past progressive, present perfect progressive, past perfect progressive, future progressive and future perfect progressive?

To put it in a nutshell, is the aforementioned rule true for all the progressive tenses or it is only true for present progressive?
    Last edited by toloue_man; 23-Oct-2013 at 14:53.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Progressive tense and stative verbs

I think your grammar book is overstating things when it says that stative verbs cannot be used in the present progressive- we generally use the present simple, but you will find examples where we use progressive forms. It's not so much a rule as a tendency. I would recommend not using a progressive form (past, present, etc) unless you have a good reason for doing so, but there's no absolute prohibition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

It's a beginner's rule. There are no progressive tenses and no stative verbs for which it actually applies in terms of how natives actually speak.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

To me personally, it's wrong to say that there are dynamic and stative verbs in the first place. It's context that determines whether a verb is used in the dynamic or stative sense, not the other way round. That could lead to less confusion, I guess.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think your grammar book is overstating things when it says that stative verbs cannot be used in the present progressive- we generally use the present simple, but you will find examples where we use progressive forms. It's not so much a rule as a tendency. I would recommend not using a progressive form (past, present, etc) unless you have a good reason for doing so, but there's no absolute prohibition.

Somewhere in the book, the author mentions examples that we can use stative verbs with progressive forms. She mentions that we can use stative verbs with progressive forms. In these cases, the progressive verb conveys a temporary activity or the progressive verb has another meaning compared to its non-progressive form. However, generally speaking is the same rule applied to the other progressive tenses such as past progressive, present perfect progressive, past perfect progressive, future progressive and future perfect progressive?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    To me personally, it's wrong to say that there are dynamic and stative verbs in the first place. It's context that determines whether a verb is used in the dynamic or stative sense, not the other way round. That could lead to less confusion, I guess.

Do you mean "it is NOT wrong to say ...."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by toloue_man View Post
    However, generally speaking is the same rule applied to the other progressive tenses such as past progressive, present perfect progressive, past perfect progressive, future progressive and future perfect progressive?
    There are certain verbs that are highly unlikely to be used in some progressive forms. For example, I cannot, at the moment, think of a convincing context for "I have been loving ...". However, as others have suggested, there is no absolute rule about so-called stative verbs and the progressive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by toloue_man View Post
    Do you mean "it is NOT wrong to say ...."
    I imagine that engee meant what he wrote. I agree with him. For me, there is no such thing as a stative verb.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    There are certain verbs that are highly unlikely to be used in some progressive forms. For example, I cannot, at the moment, think of a convincing context for "I have been loving ...". However, as others have suggested, there is no absolute rule about so-called stative verbs and the progressive.
    McDonald's started a bit of a revolution with its "I'm lovin it" advertising campaign. I suppose it won't be too long before we hear "I've been lovin' it for 10 years".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post

Let me give a relative definition based on our discussion. Not all stative verbs can be used with progressive forms such as "love" but some of them can be used with all progressive forms. If a stative verb is used with any progressive forms, the verb conveys a temporary activity such as "He is seeing things more clearly with his new glasses" or the progressive verb has another meaning compared to its non-progressive form such as "He is considering to enter university" vs "He considers this university to be a good one."

Do you agree with my definition? I think it is as comprehensive as possibe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast